19th c ew adams eight day brass shelf column clock

Passing Time

May 22, 2021
Country
I just obtained an ew adams eight day clock mfg in New York around 1835. It was received with a broken glass on the lower door where the pendulum is located. Original window Glass 11"X11" was painted to look like a stage, two columns on each side, red curtains draping from above with stars. I need to get a decal or something close to looking like the stage. The picture on your web-site shows the exact stage but on a smaller size door glass. Please help me! I replaced the glass and now need the stage.

David 62

Nov 28, 2004
What is the size of the lower glass?Marshall and Adams and then later,E.W. Adams are often found with curtains reverse painted on the lower glass.

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
The picture on your web-site shows the exact stage but on a smaller size door glass.
Could you provide a link to that picture, or a picture of your damaged glass, to help provide advice? Thanks!

Passing Time

May 22, 2021
Country
What is the size of the lower glass?Marshall and Adams and then later,E.W. Adams are often found with curtains reverse painted on the lower glass.
Yes, you're correct the original glass had curtains painted one the inside of the glass with two columns on each side. It looks like a stage. I've replaced the glass which is 11"X11" in size but can't find anyone who can paint the curtains and columns. So, I've been looking for decals, or better yet some pressure transfers that look like "the stage".

Passing Time

May 22, 2021
Country
yes, curtains reverse painted on the lower glass. Here are the pictureszz;
Could you provide a link to that picture, or a picture of your damaged glass, to help provide advice? Thanks!
Yes, curtains reverse painted on lower glass. How do you get the painted picture IMG_0009.jpg IMG_0010.jpg IMG_0011.jpg IMG_0012.jpg IMG_0010.jpg IMG_0011.jpg IMG_0012.jpg
lower glass is 11"X11"

Reactions: PatH

Passing Time

May 22, 2021
Country
Picture attached
Here's a closed auction that shows the same glass?

E.W. Adams Shelf Clock Seneca Falls, NY | Cottone Auctions
Thanks, that's the clock. Now, how can I get the painting on the lower glass?

IMG_0009.jpg IMG_0009.jpg

Reactions: PatH

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
Picture attached

Thanks, that's the clock. Now, how can I get the painting on the lower glass?

View attachment 655706 View attachment 655707
Thanks for finally providing pictures.

Yep, that is the type of lower tablet used.

To my knowledge, you probably can’t buy a “decal” for it. And to restore appropriately and accurately a scarce & desirable clock like this, where the tablet was originally hand painted with stenciled elements, you will have to have it reproduced by hand, preferably on old glass.

There are people who can do it based upon the broken tablet like Moberg, David, and Abrams. Will cost some $$’s, but the result will be gratifying.

RM

EscapeWheel

Mar 19, 2003
Country
Region
Did anybody notice that the break in the lower glass is directly where it appears as though a bullet goes through the clock's back? I doubt that the glass would have lasted in the shape its in from as far back as the civil war, but it'd make a good story.

Jim DuBois

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Member
Jun 14, 2008
Magnolia, TX
Country
Region
Sorry, not bullet holes in the case. That is a mark in the backboard and label left by a rusty screw that once held the clock firmly to a wall.

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
Did anybody notice that the break in the lower glass is directly where it appears as though a bullet goes through the clock's back? I doubt that the glass would have lasted in the shape its in from as far back as the civil war, but it'd make a good story.
LOL. Bullet hole.

This clock probably spent much of its life in Upstate NY, far from any conflicts of the Civil War.

As pointed out, often clock backboards have holes where screws once secured the clock to a wall.

However, at one time the fiction was promoted that they were bullet holes and that they were the result of a wife shooting at a philandering husband after he came home in the wee hours of the AM and had his back turned as he wound the clock before sneaking into bed.

I like that story better than being a casualty of the Civil War.

RM

David 62

Nov 28, 2004
Tom Moberg would do a nice job of reproducing your original lower glass.you will be much happier if the reverse painting is done on a piece of old glass with ripples vs new plate glass.It is interesting that the gold seen on your tassel and pillar bases was stenciled with bronze powder.Earlier Marshall and Adams as well as some E.W.Adams clocks have curtains,but the gold was done with gold leaf.Economy of labor.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
April
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-