Ever Seen a Bonhomme SG carriage clock??

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by dondidio, Feb 10, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. dondidio

dondidio Registered User

Mar 5, 2007
    Hi, picked up a sweet little brass carriage clock signed Bonhomme SG that winds through the dial and has a visible wire pendulum. The case is carved brass with "France" inside the bottom and has an ormolu top. Can't post a picture now but will later if that helps. For now I'm just curious if anyone's heard of that name before. Thanks!

2. dondidio

dondidio Registered User

Mar 5, 2007
  3. dondidio

dondidio Registered User

Mar 5, 2007
    Sweet little carriage clock signed on the porcelain dial Bonhomme SG, winds through the dial and has a visible wire pendulum. Signed "France" inside the case. Any clue as to age and maker?? Thanks!

FYI - I posted this query earlier. Tried to edit it but couldn't do it at this juncture. SAM_7078 (2).JPG SAM_7083.JPG

4. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    I’ve combined the two threads.

5. Ticktocktime100

Ticktocktime100 Registered User

Nov 11, 2012
    Student
    France
    Country Flag:
    Hi,

A sweet little clock, indeed. I've seen many miniature carriage clocks, but none with a pendulum like this one. It was no doubt made to rival the higher quality pieces with platform escapements, which would have been more expensive. The movement is commonly referred to as a "tic-tac" movement, specifically because of the pendulum. You already know it is French, and that's about as far as you'll get if there is no trademark on the movement. It could perhaps be a Japy Frères product, as they made many small "tic-tac" movements, but as I said I haven't seen a clock quite like this one before so I have nothing to compare it to. "Bonhomme" is more than likely the retailer. In terms of date, the "France" marking would put it around 1900-1910.

Regards.

6. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If you google 'Bonhomme SG' you would find a 20th C French cartel clock attributed to Bayard but no mention of the movement. Obviously a carriage clock case but the idea you would have a pendulum in one is daft so one could only guess as to the what the movement is. Tic tac refers to an escapement which spans afaik 2 to 3 teeth of the escape wheel.

7. dondidio

dondidio Registered User

Mar 5, 2007
    Thanks for the input! I figured Bohhomme SG was a retailer but the movement puzzled me.

8. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    How did you figure that? A picture of the movement may solve your puzzlement.

9. PatH

PatH National Program Chair
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I think I might have found the same cartel clock auction result, but thought that Bayard was the name of the street in Paris that was referenced in the clock description rather than a clockmaker. (I don't speak French, so I could definitely have misunderstood the reference.)

10. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    No, Bayard was the maker, the firm established in about 1867 and went through all sorts of changes, at one time called Duverdrey & Bloquel.

JTD

11. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    As JTD says Bayard is what D&B turned into and the firm was one of the largest manufacturers of carriage clocks in the late 19th C, they were still making clocks well past the mid 20th C. I doubt they still are though it would be nice to think so.

12. zedric

zedric Registered User

Aug 8, 2012
    Can you say how tall the case is? It's difficult to see from the images. Carriage clocks are typically about 6 inches, although the ones I have seen with pendulum movements are typically a fair bit larger than the usual carriage clock format.