• We are aware of the performance issues with the forum. These are due to problems with Comcast's shared lines in the Columbia, PA area. On December 15, we signed a contract to bring a dedicated fiber line to the forum servers. It should take somewhere between 30 and 90 days to install. Thank you for your patience.

Ever come across Colangel?

tracerjack

Jun 6, 2016
Lodi, CA
Country
Region
I had no idea when I bought this clock online that the case was so huge, nearly 30 inches. Didn't look that big in the listing photos. The logo on the dial is Colangel, the upper part just says Westminster. The movement is unmarked. Plays Wittington and Westminster. Does anyone have any info on Colangel and perhaps a date from the case style?
colangel1.jpg colangel2.jpg colangel3.jpg

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
No ... but many similar clocks were made in the 1950s. These are among the best sounding of all common mantle clocks. I've never seen one that big!

Willie X

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
Whether this mark is Colangel or Solangel is disputed. (If you follow the long top line down along the bottom of the letters, to where it turns back on itself, it could be an S rather than a C).

Mikrolisk has recorded this mark but has not been able to attribute it to a particular maker, so it is still 'unknown'.

This style of clock is very typical of the 'Büffetuhr' which was the height of style in the 1950s in Germany.

Someone here may be able to identify the movement.

JTD

tracerjack

Jun 6, 2016
Lodi, CA
Country
Region
Yes, it does have a nicely tuned set of chime rods that resonate beautifully. The movement is very heavy, using 12 screws to hold it in place. Had to grab it will both hands to maneuver it into the case. I see now how the first letter is most likely an S. It would seem the company used purchased movements. The double hook for the chime stop and correction I had seen before, but could not remember where. The shape of the locking plate was also familiar. For comparison, here it is pictured with a large Junghans chimer.
colangel4.jpg

tracerjack

Jun 6, 2016
Lodi, CA
Country
Region
This is a video of its Wittington. Couple of hammers still need adjustment, and I think the hour strike needs a higher lift. The timing between some of the notes is off to me, but doubt anything can be done. I consider chime barrels to be well made, but not exactly precise instruments. Thank you both for the information on the name, date and case style.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3号缐
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller