Even more to Celebrate: HAC and Kienzle

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Isaac, Nov 29, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Isaac

Isaac Registered User

Aug 5, 2013
    Male
    Student
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Over the past 2 months, these two fine clocks came into my possession. The case styling for both are pretty much identical except for a few minute details.

The dual chime HAC Celebrate was actually gifted to me by CCF (thanks again!) in nonworking order. 2 feet needed to be reattached, and the mechanism cleaned and oiled. It also had a click spring failure in the past, so I took a close look to examine any bent pinions/teeth - thankfully there was no damage. Old oil was sticking up the gravity operated parts, which caused the chimes to behave erratically. Hammers of course needed to be readjusted after shipping, and I did my usual replacement of the leather for each of the hammer heads. The case waxed up and shined without an issue, and looks absolutely fantastic. I'd say this is the best sounding chime clock I have - see the video below.

A link to an older post with the same clock: Celebrate Dual Chime Mantel Clock.

Video:

The next one is a Kienzle that I found on E-bay for a very decent price. I haven't gone into the movement yet to clean it and do the necessary maintenance, but it sounds great and seems very well built. The bezel also needs to be fixed so that it closes completely. A video is linked below.

Video:

Pictures of both clocks are attached as well. The picture of the Celebrate on the floor was before case cleaning and waxing. The Kienzle pictures are the ones on the table.

IMG_9851.jpeg IMG_9777.jpg IMG_9778.jpeg IMG_9779.jpeg IMG_9817.jpg IMG_9818.jpg IMG_9847.jpg IMG_9848.jpg

Kevin W. likes this.
  2. Rockin Ronnie

Rockin Ronnie Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Male
    retired educator
    Greenfield, Nova Scotia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Impressive. They look to be in great shape. Waxing makes a difference.
    Ron

Isaac likes this.
  3. Isaac

Isaac Registered User

Aug 5, 2013
    Male
    Student
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #3 Isaac, Nov 29, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
    I forgot to mention that the Kienzle in the photos actually was before I cleaned up the case and waxed it. Of course, the finish was in good condition (just dull) so it shined up great as well.

4. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Great looking clocks. Very nice. I think the wax on the case makes it look great.

Isaac likes this.
  5. Isaac

Isaac Registered User

Aug 5, 2013
    Male
    Student
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you both!

6. PatH

PatH National Program Chair
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Beautiful clocks. The grain is amazing and the dials seem to be great condition, too. Thanks for sharing!

7. Isaac

Isaac Registered User

Aug 5, 2013
    Male
    Student
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks! Many cases come back to life with a bit of TLC - I was lucky that both of these clocks have near immaculate faces so they really look great and match the rest of the exterior of the clock.

PatH likes this.
  8. chimeclockfan

chimeclockfan Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 21, 2006
    Chime clock & gong studies.
    WI
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Glad to see the Celebrate turned out well. I've handled 11 clocks from this brand alone and they never fail to impress. In their heyday they were considered among the higher-end offerings right alongside Herschede and Seth Thomas. The Celebrate movements also handle spring failures rather well compared to other movement designs.

Interestingly Geo. Borgfeldt also imported Kienzle chime clocks for the American trade, I wonder if your clock was among their offerings.

Bruce Alexander likes this.