European silver pin-set PW identification

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by Roy Horrorlogic, Jun 10, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Check it out in the NAWCC Events forum:
    Talk about the upcoming National Meeting
    Preregistration is now closed.
    Visit the site for our New Member Walk In Deal.
  1. Roy Horrorlogic

Roy Horrorlogic Registered User

Mar 7, 2017
    Country Flag:
    I know next to nothing about pocket watches. I have just dug out this one, which I've had for many years, and found a pair of hands which are roughly appropriate (the silver arrow second hand was already present). The movement is approx. 41 mm in diameter. I believe that one of the hallmarks represents a game bird - possibly a pheasant, and another - crown and crescent moon - indicates German origin. I'm not sure how to date it. I have scanned a Paulson catalogue/catalog but I can't see anything similar in the 17-19''' range.
    Even without any cleaning, it runs astonishingly well, with a balance amplitude that doesn't fall below 200 deg in any position and beat errors in the 1-2 ms range.
    Any info would be appreciated.
    Roy

Silver-PW-6100120.JPG Silver-PW-6100121.JPG Silver-PW-6100122.JPG Silver-PW-6100123.JPG Silver-PW-6100124.JPG Silver-PW-6100125.JPG

2. Durruti

Durruti Registered User
    NAWCC Brass Member

Dec 13, 2015
    Country Flag:
    As you I'm a beginner in collecting pocket watches so I can't say nothing to the movement of your watch. But perhaps I can help you with the hallmarks: The bird that you mentioned is not a pheasant it's a grouse. It's the swiss hallmark for 0.800 silver and was in use from 1882 to 1934.
    The bee-hive is the trademark of Louis-Ulysse Chopard mikrolisk.PNG Many thanks to mikrolisk.

Peter

Roy Horrorlogic likes this.
  3. Les harland

Les harland Registered User

Apr 10, 2008
    Male
    Hertfordshire England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The Crown and Crescent Moon is a German Hallmark used after 1886
    Swiss watches often have both Swiss and German Hallmarks on them

4. John Matthews

John Matthews Registered User

Sep 22, 2015
    Retired Systems Architect
    France
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  5. Roy Horrorlogic

Roy Horrorlogic Registered User

Mar 7, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Thanks to all for the useful information. I really should make use of microlisk...
    The movement itself looks to me like a variant of a Fontainmelon that I've seen innumerable times. But many of the movements of the era seem to have used a similar bridge layout.
    Interesting that it's an early Chopard. About a year ago I supplied the Chopard museum with an unusual square Eszeha wrist watch created by the current Chopard president Karl Scheufele III's ancestor.
    Roy