European Private Label Watches for the American Market

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by Dave Coatsworth, Jan 23, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Ethan Lipsig

Ethan Lipsig Registered User
    NAWCC Gold Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Male
    80% Retired Attorney
    Pasadena
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Many Touchons were private labeled by leading jewelers, almost all in the United States. Some of these, such as Agassiz, probably should be classified as separate brands, rather than a jeweler private labels.

The most common private labeler by far was Tiffany.

It appears from consecutive serial numbers that jewelers often ordered watches in batches. For example, ## 43,759 and 43,820 all are both Tiffany PL Type TO5 in my classification, as are all the other examples I have seen in the serial number range. It is possible that Tiffany ordered a batch of Type TO5 movements that at least ranged from 43,759 - 43,820.

1. Agassiz

2. Asprey (English)

3. G.W. Baltom

4. Bailey, Banks & Biddle

5. Bigelow Kennard

6. Birks

7. D.E. Black

8. Black, Starr & Frost

9. Black, Starr, Frost & Gorham

10. Blair & Crawford

11. Boas

12. Bohm-Bristol

13. F. Bonnet

14. Boucheron (French)

15. Bunde & Untemeyer

16. J.E. Caldwell

17. Charles & Grave

18. Charlton

19. Davis & Freeman

20. Jos. K. Davison’s Sons

21. Dickerson

22. Donovan & Seamans

23. Arthur A. Evert

24. J. Ferrero

25. G.H. Francis

26. Gattle

27. Greenleaf & Crosby

28. J.C. Grogan

29. Gubelin (Swiss)

30. Hallmark

31. R. Hemsley

32. Higgins

33. Hodgson Kennard

34. T. Kirkpatrick

35. Maier & Berkele

36. Marcus & Co.

37. A. Newsalt

38. Nordlinger

39. Pequignot

40. Phelps & Perry

41. A.C. Routier

42. Ryrie Bros.

43. Ryrie Century

44. Shreve & Co.

45. Shreve, Eacret & Treat

46. Siegler Bros.

47. Smith Patterson

48. Spaulding

49. Theo. B. Starr

50. Stowell

51. L.W. Suter

52. Tiffany

53. Van Riper

54. A.A. Webster

55. Welsh & Bro.

56. E.A. Whipple & Sons

Bila, Keith R... and viclip like this.
  2. Rick Hufnagel

Rick Hufnagel Just Rick!
    NAWCC Member Donor Sponsor

Oct 25, 2018
    Male
    Plumber
    Pittsburgh pa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #52 Rick Hufnagel, Mar 21, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
    This is a neat Swiss watch for Mermod, Jaccard & co. St. Louis.

It was up for sale for an age, and I finally got tired of staring at it, so I wanted to add it with it's Mermod Jaccard friends in my watch pile.

It's a lever set, stemwind hunter. About the size of an American 10s. Nice lever escapement. There are some scratches and the Gilt is a bit discolored around the edges. That big fancy gold minute hand is also M.I.A.
    IMG_20200321_213515939.jpg
    It runs, but I won't do anything to get it going perfectly till I figure out how it's going to be housed. I have some ideas.. but I doubt I'll ever find an actual case for it.
    IMG_20200321_213618696_HDR.jpg
    It doesn't say on it, or match any of the "Lady standard" movements in my MJ&Co catalog. It does match the description however. Makes me think its probably later... Maybe the latter half of the 1880s?? Just an educated guess from the stemwind mechanism which I'll explain. If you compare my movement with this photo, they look to have the same layout, just a modified top plate on the listing.
    Screenshot_20200321-221452.png
    Another reason I purchased this was in hopes to see a "live and in living color" version of this patent. (Borrowed from PWDB). A stemwinding patent from Justin & Samuel Jaccard Jaques that is mentioned in the MJ&co catalog
    US117782-0.png

In this clip from the catalog, the lady's stemwinding watches all had a patented SW attachment from August 8th 1871. An earlier patent, especially applied to women's watches. Sorry this is tiny, you'll have to enlarge it to read. It was great to match a patent to this!
    Screenshot_20200321-221404~2.png

The note from the Mermod Jaccard Catalog states that the design of the stemwind is constantly changing and improving, and in this instance it is very much changed and improved. Definitely a simple and solid set-up. Does not much resemble the original button set patent.
    IMG_20200321_220933972.jpg

Guess I'll have to look for an older version!

Thanks for reading my madness, enjoy your weekend!

Keith R... and viclip like this.
  3. richiec

richiec Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Male
    automotive warranty inspector
    Brick, Ocean, NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Cabin fever does strange things, I'm a watch guy but I bought three clocks last weekend because there was nothing else horological to buy. You can find them in an old thread in the recent clock purchases section. I like that watch, Rick, simple and easy to work on, no non-essential doodads complicating it. Good luck with the case, I guess you could always make a display figurine.

Rick Hufnagel likes this.
  4. Clint Geller

Clint Geller Registered User
    Gibbs Literary Award NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Jul 12, 2002
    Male
    Semi-retired materials physicist
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have seen Howard Series I's and II's in "MB" cases with the same cartouche, and I always associated that mark with Margot Brothers as well. A separate roughly contemporaneous "M & B" mark also occasionally turns up, which I have associated with Mathey & Brother.

5. Springdale Ben

Springdale Ben Registered User

Jun 21, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    #55 Springdale Ben, May 25, 2020
    Last edited: May 25, 2020
    Hi

Could anyone help me identify the maker of this private label movement? Signed Anderton & Eberhardt & Co, Dayton O (Ohio). Serial number 100590

Anderton & Eberhardt & Co, Dayton O - listed on Ticktalks list of V&C private label, but not sure this is V&C?

Many thanks

Ben

thumbnail_IMG_1228.jpg thumbnail_IMG_1227.jpg

pmwas and Keith R... like this.
  6. Jeff Hess

Jeff Hess Moderator
    Sponsor Gold Business Member

Sep 3, 2000
    Male
    watches
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Moderator feel free to remove, but I am going to cross post this interesting Tiffany in an attempt to figure out (or get opinoins) as to maker. The 5 digit serial seems to not really quite fit in with Agassiz or Meylan. Case is very bulky and Patek-esque but not even close, movement wise to Patek or V&C. I could be very wrong. Triple date moonphase btw.

thoughts?

tiffany18k.jpg

7. Springdale Ben

Jun 21, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hi Jeff

I've been doing research to try and find out more about my Anderton Eberhardt & Co pocket watch (movement above).

I am not an expert on Swiss movement makers, but purely based on the serial number yours would tie in with Audemars Piguet known Tiffany examples. I've attached two Audemars Tiffany pocket watches with serial numbers 19742 and 19826. These watches date from date from circa 1917. If it is Audemars it may well be signed under the dial.

The serial number also fits with "European Watch and Clock Co" who made watches for Cartier and Tiffany in the 1910-20's.

I think the serial number would rule out Patek, V&C, Longines & LeCoultre.

I hope this gives you somewhere to start! I'll I come across anything else I'll let you know.

Thanks

Tiffany Audemars 1.png Tiffany Audemars 2.PNG

Keith R... and pmwas like this.
  8. Springdale Ben

Jun 21, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hi Jeff

I also came across this Audemars Moonphase Calendar pocket watch from a 2012 Auction catalogue, earlier date than yours but not too dissimilar movement configuration.

Ben

Audemars Moonphase Calendar.PNG

Keith R... likes this.
  9. John Cote

John Cote Director
    Director NAWCC Member

Aug 26, 2000
    Photographer
    Midwest USA
    Country Flag:
    I posted this watch a while ago on in the complicated watch forum but it fits here so I will post it again. There is a photo of similar looking watch with an equivalent movement on page 130 of the book, "Audemars Piguet" authored by Brunner, Pfeiffer-Belli and Wherli. So, I wrote to AP and their archivist confirmed to me by eMail that this watch with matching serial number (7791) on both the movement and 18k case was manufactured by AP and sold by them in 1906. They also confirm that the movement is an AP Calibre 18SMCRV. I have to say that the people at AP were very cooperative and easy to deal with and my thanks go out to them.

The watch was made for Touchon who sold it in the US with a private label engraved on the barrel bridge to prominent and early Los Angeles jeweler S. (Simon) Nordlinger & Sons. I collect and love high grade Swiss watches with US jewelry store private labels and have always wanted a Nordlinger so I am twice proud to have found this one.

The watch case is 48mm and the movement is about 39mm in diameter on the back. The case is plain polished with plain inner cuvette. The gentleman who sold it to me said he bought it an estate sale around 50 years ago and that it had sat in his bank box most of the time since then.

AP-SplitMinute_DialSide-Web.jpg
    AP-SplitMinute_Mvt-web.jpg

10. Rick Hufnagel

Rick Hufnagel Just Rick!

Oct 25, 2018
    Male
    Plumber
    Pittsburgh pa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #60 Rick Hufnagel, Jun 25, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
    Hello guys and gals,

I found a book called "Industries of Pittsburgh, statistical and trade review" dated 1879. This book has become an absolute invaluable tool for Pittsburgh private label watches. I now have two to match the book, one Aurora and this imitation model 57.

Industries of Pittsburgh, null.
    https://play.google.com/store/books/details?id=691PAQAAMAAJ

Jos. Koenig, Pittsburgh PA!
    It has a flat, unsigned dial

IMG_20200625_161522913_HDR.jpg IMG_20200625_161538773.jpg

The movement itself is in better condition than any imitation American watch I've seen in hand. It's a good looker. It has 11 "jewels". 2 each balance hole balance caps, pallet stones and a roller that actually look like real jewels, and the 4 clear jewels on the top plate.

Someone has loved it in the past. It has an alloy mainspring and is pretty clean inside. New dial washer.

Anyways, here is the excerpt from the book linked above.

J. Koenig & Bro. Watchmakers and jewelers, No. 579 Penn Av.

One of the most noticeable establishments along Penn Avenue is the tastefully arranged and elegantly stocked store of J. Koenig & Bro., located in the three-story brick building 17.5x50, and No. 579. This house was founded in 1865 by Mr. J. Koenig, with a capital of only $1.000. In 1875 Mr. August Koenig was admitted. Both gentlemen are practical and experienced watchmakers. Their average stock is valued at about $30,000, comprising a full line of Foreign and American watches, solid and plated silver ware of the latest designs, French, German and American clocks, rings, brooches, chains and fine jewelry of every description. Their annual sales amount from $8,000 to $10,000, and their business is steadily increasing. Fine watch repairing is the specialty for which this house is particularly celebrated. Both members of the firm are natives of Prussia, but have for many years resided in Pittsburgh.

So, an exciting addition to the hometown private labels! 579 Penn Ave is right in downtown Pittsburgh in the cultural district (theaters and such). Unfortunately, the building is not there anymore.

Thanks for checking it out and have a good day!

11. Rick Hufnagel

Rick Hufnagel Just Rick!

Oct 25, 2018
    Male
    Plumber
    Pittsburgh pa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here is Mr Koenig all done up in new case. Running well and looks pretty good. It's a nickel pair case that came in a lot recently and I think this is a good match.

Should have shown these with the last post but the mainspring was putting up quite a fight. It didn't want to stay hooked on the barrel. The whole watch had to come apart (again) to get the barrel out..... So... A little frustration.

IMG_20200625_205532033.jpg IMG_20200625_205557161.jpg

12. Jerry Treiman

Jerry Treiman Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Geologist - California Geological Survey
    Los Angeles, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I collect Waltham movements made for and cased by Bigelow, Kennard & Co. (Boston), but I could not help adding a couple of Swiss examples. I have shown these elsewhere, but they belong in this thread, too.

First is an 18-ligne Longines in a Sterling case.
    Longines_18,65.jpg

Next is a 12-ligne Vacheron & Constantin (20 or 21j) in a Jeannot & Shiebler case.
    VC_313350_f.jpg VC_313350_m.jpg

Here is a 13-ligne V&C (20j) from a little later (recased orphan movement).
    345120_f.jpg 345120_m2.jpg

And a 17-ligne 21-jewel V&C in a Jeannot & Shiebler case.
    VC345309f_replaced.jpg 345309m.jpg

Here is a lever fusee (movement only) made for an earlier iteration of the company (prior to 1845).
    BigelowBros2305d.jpg BigelowBros2305csig.jpg BigelowBros2305m2.jpg

13. miguel angel cladera

miguel angel cladera Registered User

Jul 29, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    An AP Walsh from Sam Hammond free sprung lever and WI

20200612_121150 5.jpg

20200612_120936 1.jpg 20200612_121046 3.jpg