Eurmaca Trading by Edgar Henn build quality

Discussion in '400-Day & Atmos' started by Wayne A, Oct 17, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Wayne A

Wayne A Registered User

Sep 24, 2019
    Retired, process controll systems
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Working on this Eurmaca trading (Plate 1088). Found that the pendulum lift was missing a m2.5 pin so I made one, no problem. Well then the oddness of the lift apparatus became apparent in that the two stop pins on the bottom plate are wider than the lift arm will swing. Its like the designer and mechanical engineer were not on the same page. When assembling the lift I assumed that the fully lifted arm should be just beyond the spring loaded stop pin locking it into lifted position. Next when you lower the pendulum the arm stops well short of the stop pin.See attached pics. Looks a little odd with that arm out in the middle like that.

On another issue, looking at the mainspring arbor you can tell the arbor was put in before the ratchet wheel, because that step deformed the arbor such that it cannot be removed. Little filing should sort that out. See pic

Nice looking little clock with signs of sketchy build. Hopefully it runs well.

20191017_074144.jpg 20191017_074201.jpg 20191017_074521.jpg 20191016_224924.jpg

2. Wayne A

Wayne A Registered User

Sep 24, 2019
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This clock keeps getting more interesting. I put the guide spec suspension spring in it, checked the turns per minute, looked like 8. Used a beat counter app on my phone to try and set 480bph. Well no way to reach that since the most I could get low 450'sbph out of it at max fast. So I went up a spring size and was able to get 480bph, then finally paid attention to the face of the clock and it was,... very fast. Best I can tell this is actually a 7.5 turn clock and watching 1min of rotation was not enough to notice that little difference.
    Just to see if I could regulate it with that larger spring I went all the way out with the pendulum weights. Yes it worked, was able to get to 450bph but the most interesting thing yet began, its turning 505deg! Not sure if that much rotation is bad for it or not?

20191018_224449.jpg

3. Wayne A

Wayne A Registered User

Sep 24, 2019
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    After a couple more days of running it seems to have settled in at 520deg of rotation. Not sure if this is to be expected from this unit? Looks like a plate 1088.

20191020_094513.jpg

4. Harry Hopkins

Harry Hopkins Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Retired Instrument Technician
    Mason, IL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #4 Harry Hopkins, Oct 21, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
    Hello Wayne,
    Nice looking clock! I have one very similar to yours. I think mine is plate 1088. I have a note in my Repair Guide that says: "Plates 1087 and 1088 are 7.5 BPM when using diamond shaped pendulum. " I remember being puzzled about the BPM after I overhauled mine and I am sure the note I have written in my book came from this forum. I am getting about the same rotation as yours and it has by far the largest rotation of any of my 400 day clocks.

Edit: I found the thread that I started 3 years ago about my Euramca similar to yours.. see it here.
    Also read this thread about this clock.

Euramca.jpg

5. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    Aerospace Engineer (Ret.)
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I also have one of these clocks, plate 1088. I, too, have made the same note in my guide for suspension units 29A, 29B, and 29C. 7.5 beats in 60 seconds or 8 beats in 64 seconds.

Kurt

6. Wayne A

Wayne A Registered User

Sep 24, 2019
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Harry, thanks I really like this clock, fun to work on. Had read in Rabushka's book that these odd beat number clocks existed, just did not expect to find one this soon in my collecting. Probably not too common a unit so it catches everyone off guard especially being so close to an 8bpm.

Reading those threads had me smiling and glad to know that rotation is normal. Just checked today and its 530deg. I did not replace the main spring, just cleaned and lubed it so it may be a little weak. Had some trouble getting the spring out because is was so gummy it did not want to wind tight enough to fit the sleeve, had to oil it just to remove it. Its been easy to regulate as well.

7. Wayne A

Wayne A Registered User

Sep 24, 2019
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Harry, your clock is a fancy version for sure, even has the carry handle. Nice!