• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

EUREKA! What a find

Rudi

Dec 1, 2010
Strand
Country
Good day everyone, morning from a sunny Cape Town - South Africa. This was quite an find, I know of a couple of Eureka's in South Africa but you can probably count them on two hands.This is probably the rarest one Eureka produced #15 and not a lot was made, If anyone has some more info it will be greatly appreciated. The dial has some chips but is still very readable, i actually would even restore it. This weekend i will just give the case a good clean and the dial a wipe, movement is running beautifully. Would love to keep this one, but unfortunately I cant.

1.jpg 2.jpg

Dave T

NAWCC Member
Dec 8, 2011
NC
Country
Region
Very nice, hope to see some more comments on this one. First one I ever saw.

Jim Andrews

NAWCC Member
Oct 11, 2018
Oklahoma panhandle
Country
Region
Good day everyone, morning from a sunny Cape Town - South Africa. This was quite an find, I know of a couple of Eureka's in South Africa but you can probably count them on two hands.This is probably the rarest one Eureka produced #15 and not a lot was made, If anyone has some more info it will be greatly appreciated. The dial has some chips but is still very readable, i actually would even restore it. This weekend i will just give the case a good clean and the dial a wipe, movement is running beautifully. Would love to keep this one, but unfortunately I cant.

View attachment 672104 View attachment 672105
I've never heard of this brand. Interesting balance wheel escapement. Cool clock!

Rudi

Dec 1, 2010
Strand
Country
I cannot believe there is no one with any info on this clock, also only one for sale on the internet. I have also been battling to get hold of Alan Shenton's book on The Eureka Clock but no luck.

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
I cannot believe there is no one with any info on this clock,
You haven't said exactly what sort of information you are looking for, but you might like to contact Dave at davewestclocks.co.uk who has worked on a lot of Eureka clocks and might be able to help.

You have a very nice and quite valuable clock.

JTD

Betzel

NAWCC Member
Dec 1, 2010
Country
Region
If anyone here knows, is that some sort of an electrical coil on the crossbar of the balance, making this more than a mechanical movement?

I assume the video is representative of the OP's (1906?) clock, but don't know...

Tim Orr

NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Member
Donor
Sep 27, 2008
Boulder CO
Country
Region
Good evening, Betzel!

Yes, this is an electromechanical clock. A moderator should probably move it to that category.

Best regards!

Tim Orr

sophiebear0_0

Nov 5, 2012
A very nice find.

The Shenton book will be helpful. And if you look on Dave West's (UK) website you will find a restoration example, though not your particular model.

Other sources of valuable information are:

1) This Forum has quite a lot of info. Just use the search facility.

2) The Horologix (www.horologix.com) website has a number of detailed documented restorations. Again your specific model isn't there, but there are examples of similar movement restorations.

Good luck with the restoration. The Eurekas are lovely clocks. they are very reliable and once set up are pretty good time-keepers.

Regards,

Peter

Reactions: Rudi

Kal532

NAWCC Member
Sep 9, 2021
Germany
Country
Region
Hello Rudi and all the others on here interested in Eureka clocks,

you can find some information about several kinds of clocks at: Album: All Makers for free.

At the left of the side there is a register, where you can find "Eureka" with some sub-folders.

Regards,
Norbert

Reactions: Jmeechie

Betzel

NAWCC Member
Dec 1, 2010
Country
Region
What's more, if it's of interest: Bryan Mumford designed an interesting way (smart battery) to improve Eureka timekeeping accuracy without modifying the vintage nature of the clocks. Likely due to slow demand, he no longer makes it, but someone else offers an idea.
I developed and distribute a controller for electric clocks
One can always go back to the original battery...

James McDermaid

Apr 29, 2011
All Eureka clock have a patent date of 1906, They were manufactured in the UK around 1910 or a couple of years later.

There are two styles of movements (short and Tall) but the big balance wheel is the same on all.

If the contacts are good and the clock clean and oiled it is a decent time keeper. At leas mine is.

They all use a 1.5 volt battery known as a #6 Drycell in the USA, or Flag Cell in the UK.

The versions that allow you to watch the movement are best for me.

There is more information than you can read in a lifetime about Eureka clocks on this web site.

Jim

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
I didn't know they made dial clocks too. Though it it is a long way outside my usual interest I always quite fancied one but they are not cheap, the book isn't either.

Reactions: Jmeechie

James McDermaid

Apr 29, 2011
You # 15 Eureka is pictured in the Alan Shenton book. Not much detail other than a brief description..

The book has a reprint of the Eureka sales catalog and that clock is pictured. There are versions of the Eureka that have known duplicates but don't show in the catalog.

The serial number is not of value in dating the Eureka clock

Jim

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Helplessfanatic12
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-