Eureka Program Clock Information

Discussion in 'Electric Horology' started by Herbstoy, Jun 27, 2013.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Herbstoy

Herbstoy Registered User

Feb 25, 2010
    Hello, I am doing research on the Eureka Program Clock (auto bell ringer), of Tyler Texas. Dr John R. Moore, a school superintendent of Winona, Texas, around 1913/14, invented the Eureka Clock. I can find almost no information or photos of the clock. Does anyone know of examples or information on the these clocks. Thank you for any information you may have.

2. eskmill

eskmill Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Aug 24, 2000
    Region Flag:
    Welcome to the Message Board Herbstoy.

After examining John R. Moore's US Patent 2,039,920 issued in 1934, I recalled a similar device I obtained at a local Chapter Mart. It piqued my interest only because it had a lot of brass machining and too, it had what looked like a salvageable Telechron rotor.

Electrical contacts are actuated mechanically by studs pressed into holes in both a seven day week drum in series with a 60 minute hour drum. There are four different programs.

It would be very nearly like Moore's Eureka school bell programmer. Like his 1934 patent, there's no clock in the usual sense.

Photos below show its similarity to the patent except that the day drum is not directly geared to the hour drum but instead, the day of the week drum is advanced by a ratchet driven hourly by a pawl driven by the hour drum.

Examination of the device reveals no maker's name but I would suspect the example in the photos would be made under license by Moore.

Attached Files:

3. Herbstoy

Herbstoy Registered User

Feb 25, 2010
    Thanks for the info. This is the first patent I have found for Mr. Moore. I have read he received at least three, first was around 1914. I'll keep looking. I hope to find an example of one of his clocks oneday. Thanks again for your help

4. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Very similar drum programmers were made by Cincinnati Time Recorder from the 1950's to 70's.

5. Lorraine Bowen

Lorraine Bowen Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 25, 2013
    I have one of these clocks in case anyone is interested. It is in bad shape but could be restored.
    Ben