• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center will reopen starting Wednesday, January 6, 2021 as per Governor Wolf's reopening mandate.

Eureka Eureka Madedelaine Clock

colinstone

Jun 21, 2018
Country
Afternoon All,

I've got a Madelaine which belonged to my father. It has been sat in my loft/forgotten about for a good few years but I do recall it running with the large Flag Cell, but can't remember how good the time keeping was.
Serial number 9622
Anyway, it is complete except for a battery retaining nut. Guess nut is an imperial size. Also the cotton covered wires have been replaced. Gilt has worn away a fair amount.

Looking inside, the coil is 21.6 ohms. The contact pin seems to have lost the insulating half - tested with a D cell, the voltage drop on each side of the pin is the same.
The balance wheel turns, but doesn't continue spinning for as long as it should when held and released. The bearing grease looks a bit brown and gungy.

So it looks like a good clean up of the bearings. A new contact and flag set from Carlton Clocks - only a few miles away. And at least a simple adjustable voltage converter to run off 4 C cells at 6v. I've used the £1ish ones off eBay for a number of projects and they seem fine.
Although found alkaline flag cells - http://cpc.farnell.com/univercell/db8014/battery-flag-alkaline-1-5v/dp/BT05682
Could be interested in an electronic controller from Frank Roesky, if he still makes them. I'll try and get in touch.
And doing the diode mod to supress contact sparking. A Dutch magazine also showed a 0.2uF capacitor being used as an alternative.
Will investigate re gilting the case.

Some pics:

Eureka Madelaine08.jpg Eureka Madelaine02.jpg Eureka Madelaine01.jpg Eureka Madelaine03.jpg Eureka Madelaine04.jpg Eureka Madelaine05.jpg Eureka Madelaine07.jpg

Look forward to any comments/thoughts/recommendations.

Colin Stone

praezis

Feb 11, 2008
Germany
Country
Region
Hi Colin,
he still makes the Eureka controllers :).
Please send me a PM.

For spark supressing I recommend a small resistor of 220 .. 330 Ohms parallel to the coil rather than a diode. The latter will prolong the current flow and can create contact timing issues,
Peak back EMK issue on Eureka clocks

Frank

James McDermaid

Apr 29, 2011
Thou salt not modify :)

My Eureka keeps decent time without diodes, resistors, capacitors, transistors, circuit boards etc, and all that crap they didn't have in 1910..

There is a re-manufacture of the so called Flag cell / #6 Dry Cell, as well as a replica using "C" cells with adjustable voltage.

The #6 in the USA was called a "Flag Cell" in the UK. When Eveready batteries folded the #6 went extinct.

The Eureka will run several years on a good 1.5 volt #6 if it is set up correctly. I cheat and have my replica battery cranked up to about 2 volts.

The Balance in my Eureka is rotating a little more than 360 degrees today and the clock probably needs new batteries. It is keeping decent time.

I have the contacts that came with my clock still in service and I'm going on two years without any kind of service.

Carlton Clocks in the UK has the glass disks, and contact points, wire, as well as the replica #6 battery. I found scanned antique labels for the battery to look original. Timesavers may have some of the items.

I have replacement parts waiting but have not faced the need.

When I got my clock it was running way fast and I adjusted the balance spring which was loose in its clamp. Then you have to readjust the position of the colet on the balance shaft and not loose the micro screw.

I follow Peter Smith's guidance religiously.

Jim

colinstone

Jun 21, 2018
Country
Thanks Jim.

Just replaced the contacts, from Carlton Clocks yesterday, cleaned and lightly oiled ball races and put back together without too much setting up of anything. Just the bare chassis is now running off 1.5v D cell, actually at 1.6v, and steady with a 260 degree arc.
Long way to go!!
CPC Farnell in UK sell alkaline 1.5v 40Ah Flag cells for approx £14.

Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Continental Clocks
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit