Eureka Eureka clock running slow

Discussion in 'Electric Horology' started by William Miller, Oct 11, 2012.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. For the new NAWCC home page
    Click this image at the upper left corner of this page.
  1. William Miller

William Miller Registered User
    NAWCC Life Member NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Jul 5, 2010
    I have an "Eureka Clock" that is running slow, about 10 seconds per minute. The advance pawl is advancing properly ( 1 tooth/revolution). The poising weights are screwed all the way in (none are missing). The balance spring appears to have the correct no. of turns (approx. 12 1/2) and is in the clamp as far as it will go without protruding from the end. Shortening the spring does not have effect of the timekeeping. The balance wheel rotates about 355 degrees , using a 1 1/2 volt "D" cell. All the wheels in the movement move freely.
    Has anyone else encountered a similar problem, and if so how was it resolved? Or, does anyone have any thoughts on how to resolve the problem?
    William Miller

2. John Hubby

John Hubby Senior Administrator Emeritus
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    William, I've encountered this same problem on a few Eurekas. My solution was to rotate the balance spring forward through the clamp far enough to bring the clock to time. There is no reason you have to be limited to placing that spring with no protrusion through the clamp; however you do need to be sure that the coils do not make contact with each other at any position of rotation of the balance.

On one clock I had to move the end of the balance spring almost 1-1/2 inches before it came into range that the regulator would control the time.

The only explanation I have for this is that the balance spring for some reason has weakened from its original strength.

3. Tinker Dwight

Tinker Dwight Registered User

Oct 11, 2010
    Calif. USA
    Others have noted problems after putting the hairspring
    in the ultasonic.
    Tinker Dwight