Eureka Eureka clock help please

Discussion in 'Electric Horology' started by doby11, Apr 9, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. For the new NAWCC home page
    Click this image at the upper left corner of this page.
  1. doby11

doby11 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 6, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hi folks. I just purchased my first Eureka clock. It’s been running and keeping good time with a 1.5 D battery. Can anyone tell me approximately when it was made? It has the original old dial which I removed but I can’t find a serial number on it. It doesn’t appear to be a marriage as everything fits up well with the case but I’m no expert on these clocks. It has the original old keys for the front and rear doors as well as a separate old key to regulate it. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

4C6FEB27-2512-451D-A8DA-9BF4DB739E2D.jpeg C284BFB8-D366-4C9D-82FB-764382A7C5BC.jpeg 80FF7981-9245-4986-926D-77AD95E69B73.jpeg 58891775-F590-4F4F-9EE0-77C1EB793D19.jpeg 1E6E24F5-AC6F-4AE6-9C62-11FD4036E2E0.jpeg

BogWood likes this.
  2. James McDermaid

James McDermaid Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 29, 2011
    Apparently all Eureka clock movements were made around 1910 to about 1914 in several batches in the UK. They were assembled into cases and sold to the public through that period.

There are several movement versions (tall or short). I don't believe the serial number will get the date closer but if you post it there are members with way more Eureka knowledge than I have. Also does your clock have two or three balls in the bearings.

If it runs and keeps time on 1.5 volts I say you have perfection. These clocks are rare and parts are scarce.

My Eureka keeps as good as, or better time than most of the pendulum clocks in the house.

Jim

3. doby11

doby11 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 6, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thanks Jim. It has 2 ball bearings.
    Daryl

4. James McDermaid

James McDermaid Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 29, 2011
    Daryl

It appears the shield shaped piece that has the serial number may be missing from your clock. I is a push-in fir with two pins that go into a lower left and upper right hole.

There is a place in the UK that has some parts Carlton Clocks. There are pictures of these on this forum.

Jim

5. doby11

doby11 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 6, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thanks Jim. I'll check it out. It's still keeping perfect time. I may just leave the dial off since I like watching the balance wheel oscillate.

6. gmitche4

gmitche4 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hi Daryl,
    Your clock looks right if you compare it with the example on page 28 of "The Eureka Clock" by Shenton. Hands the same, came in a variety of cases, same dial details,
    Regards
    Graham
    Sydney

Eureka mantel clock.jpeg

7. gmitche4

gmitche4 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Male
    Country Flag:
    And visit horologix.com for more information on these fascinating electric clocks,

Regards
    Graham

8. doby11

doby11 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 6, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thanks Graham I will do that. It’s still running on 1.5 volts and keeping time. It looks like it’s been awhile since it was overhauled. I did remove and clean the little arm with the advancing pawl because it had oil on it. I also cleaned the contact points since they were dirty. I’m not sure if I want to overhaul it yet since it’s running excellent. My grandfather used to say “if it’s not broken don’t fix it” I’ve never worked on the Eureka but I’ve worked on many other electromechanical clocks since they are my favorite type of clocks. When I get ready to I’m sure I’ll need advice since there probably is no manual on servicing these. Thanks again,
    Daryl

9. Terry Gray

Terry Gray Registered User

Apr 15, 2018
    Male
    Retired
    Rye East Sussex United Kingdom
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #9 Terry Gray, Jul 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    Hi Calton Clocks may help they have they have parts including contacts,Peter Smith of Horlogix retired some time ago, new contacts should have a diode , fitted to stop the contact sparking and burning I used 1s113 diode case do7 from ,The Little Diode( Company) with good effect,Dave West at Honington Bury St Edmunds, repaired one of my Eurekas some time ago, there are lots of mythes around these clock there probable dozens of variations in the cases possible because the movements were sold on, and various firms companies put the movements in their own cases, but the movements are just two types tall and short, but there are some more rarer three ball bearing as opposed to the usual two, in all the time I have been interested in Eureka Clocks I have only seen one other type. I am given to believe that around 10 thousand were made in a relative short while, prior WW1, but judging buy the amount that have survived I find it hard to believe, the bearings gum up I have found it quite easy to remove the ball bearings and clean them even move the outer race if worn, and re oil, don't be frighten to oil don't flood it but make sure there is enough, i wouldn't take much notice of serial numbers one of mine has no numbers on it either, they seem to bear little relationship of when to was made.
    Terry Gray