Eureka Clock Co., London

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Pineville, La. (central La.)
Country
Region
I got this with several more English clocks yesterday. I have never seen one. Please tell me what you know about it. Self winding? Battery powered?
Thanks, Will

946BA0EA-8A92-465D-8EFF-B7C16DD4BABB.jpeg 7E2EA87E-8743-45FE-A12E-1978730FA56C.jpeg 57288D2F-7698-4EFA-BB18-81DB56FAF023.jpeg DE741636-C4A2-43FC-AC48-1988A7335CF2.jpeg B92CAB88-C616-4596-AD66-3F387E411F14.jpeg

Reactions: Jmeechie

Jmeechie

NAWCC Member
Dec 8, 2010
Country
Region
Nice! I’ll take it off your hands if you don’t want it! :D
There more electrically driven. They’ll run on 1.5 volt (D cell) battery. Once you get them sorted they’re fascinating to watch.

Jmeechie

NAWCC Member
Dec 8, 2010
Country
Region
The other connects to the frame as I recall. Check for no continuity between the silver post and frame. When you gently swing the wheel you should see burps of continuity on a meter with no battery installed.

James McDermaid

Apr 29, 2011
Not sure of the exact model you have there,

Desirable clock.

Originally ran on a 1.5 volt #6 dry cell or Flag cell for the UK.

A "D" cell should run it for quite a while.

A pin on the wheel engages a metal contact on the left side of the movement. The contact is one battery connection and the frame the other.

The contact engages the pin on one direction and engages an insulated side of the pin on the reverse.

The pin will usually engage the contact when the clock is stopped going in one direction.

Yours is what is called the long movement, three ball.

Be careful parts are very scarce.

Jim

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Country
Region
Not sure of the exact model you have there,

Desirable clock.

Originally ran on a 1.5 volt #6 dry cell or Flag cell for the UK.

A "D" cell should run it for quite a while.

A pin on the wheel engages a metal contact on the left side of the movement. The contact is one battery connection and the frame the other.

The contact engages the pin on one direction and engages an insulated side of the pin on the reverse.

The pin will usually engage the contact when the clock is stopped going in one direction.

Yours is what is called the long movement, three ball.

Be careful parts are very scarce.

Jim
Thanks, Jim. This will definitely be a learning experience for me. Your explanation is just what I need to hopefully get it going. Evidently it had a glass dome or cover of some kind. Any idea what it was?

James McDermaid

Apr 29, 2011
There is a book called "The Eureka Clock" by Dr F.G. Alan Shenton that I believe is long out of print but you can try Amazon.

There are pictures of the clock models that were in their catalog but it is believed there were other case styles made in small quantities.

They were patented around 1906 and manufactured around 1910 to 1914. The serial numbers don't track to any kind of exact year of manufacture.

They were all made in the UK and then some lookalikes came from other countries.

Most proper radicalized clock collectors desire to own a Eureka.

I don't completely agree with the book but the guy is a Dr.

Jim

Steve Murphy

Jan 8, 2007
Sierra Madre, Calif.
Country
Region
There is a book called "The Eureka Clock" by Dr F.G. Alan Shenton that I believe is long out of print but you can try Amazon.

There are pictures of the clock models that were in their catalog but it is believed there were other case styles made in small quantities.

They were patented around 1906 and manufactured around 1910 to 1914. The serial numbers don't track to any kind of exact year of manufacture.

They were all made in the UK and then some lookalikes came from other countries.

Jim

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Country
Region

Jim
James, the book is not available anymore. Do you have a copy?

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Country
Region
All the wheels were gummed up and would not turn. I removed them and cleaned them and put it back together. Still will not run. Any ideas?

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
wow it looks like there are several books on the Eureka Clock available to members from the NAWCC library, including a couple that look like they might discuss repairs/adjustments.

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Country
Region
wow it looks like there are several books on the Eureka Clock available to members from the NAWCC library, including a couple that look like they might discuss repairs/adjustments.
Thank jyou, Pat. I will definitely look at those books.
Will

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maximus
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller