Euramca odd pendulum

Ken M

Feb 28, 2009
Holiday, FL
Country
Region
Bought this on Ebay, will be here by the end of the week. Aside from the neat case, the pendulum looks challenging.
1623721758821.png
1623721792348.png
1623721824235.png

Schatznut

NAWCC Member
Sep 26, 2020
SoCal
Country
Region
Man, you sure know how to pick 'em! ;)

Darrmann39

NAWCC Member
Dec 6, 2020
Country
Bought this on Ebay, will be here by the end of the week. Aside from the neat case, the pendulum looks challenging.
View attachment 659012
View attachment 659013
View attachment 659015
I
View attachment 659012
View attachment 659013
View attachment 659015
I have the same clock. You have to use the arm to lock it then turn the adjuster. Very hard so I just grab the sides and reach under to the plate on the bottom and move them.
Very very small movements make a lot of time change slow or fast.
Looks like there's a couple pieces missing the front trim and the circular handle on to, My first pic didn't have it on. Look at second

16237563301861218325087059541340.jpg 16237563537136604932706133036791.jpg

Darrmann39

NAWCC Member
Dec 6, 2020
Country
Also I don't see the arm that should be underneath the pendulum that you raise to lock it. Look at my pic.

Schatznut

NAWCC Member
Sep 26, 2020
SoCal
Country
Region
Why? What do you know that I don't?
I was just observing that you have had a couple with interesting pendulums lately...

Ken M

Feb 28, 2009
Holiday, FL
Country
Region
Looks like just a knob on top. May be missing the arm, or maybe it's just jammed underneath. Wouldn't be the first clock missing parts to the lock that I've bought. I like the undesirables.
1623765888101.png

Last edited:

Ken M

Feb 28, 2009
Holiday, FL
Country
Region
Well, got the clock. Front panel was shattered, side panel missing. The missing panel should have been noted, and poor packaging. The box was fine, but the pendulum was loose inside the clock, thus broken front panel. Bummer.
All the locking hardware is missing, even the cup. Bad buy. But this is my first huge disappointment. I don't even want to bother with this clock.

Last edited:

Wayne A

NAWCC Member
Sep 24, 2019
Country
Region
Its difficult to get shippers to package clocks properly.. Had one that arrived in an otherwise empty box, zero padding, it was just tossed in the box.

Darrmann39

NAWCC Member
Dec 6, 2020
Country
Well, got the clock. Front panel was shattered, side panel missing. The missing panel should have been noted, and poor packaging. The box was fine, but the pendulum was loose inside the clock, thus broken front panel. Bummer.
All the locking hardware is missing, even the cup. Bad buy. But this is my first huge disappointment. I don't even want to bother with this clock.
Any glass company or even old time hardwares can cut some. You have the template take the back and side off and take them to someone.

Ken M

Feb 28, 2009
Holiday, FL
Country
Region
The pendulum was loosely wrapped in bubble wrap and just stuffed inside the clock. Then the clock was put in a paper bag and put in the box. I've gotten two clocks from a guy in Texas, those thing were bulletproof. Then there's this guy.

Jyst

May 10, 2020
Country
I bought what looked like a really nice Nueuck from America it arrived poorly packaged glass shattered bare on the clock ,all paint and transfers peppered and the base bent.
It is now in a cupboard I can't bring myself to look at it.

Ken M

Feb 28, 2009
Holiday, FL
Country
Region
Sorry to hear it. I've been working on this thing. Someone did a horrible job lacquering, runs everywhere. But I like the gold tint and the over all look of it, so I'll leave it as it is. And it would be too much work to strip it! The size of the escape wheel and the anchor on this thing are baffling. A miniature clock, and these things look full size. Maybe I just got a bucket of parts.

Darrmann39

NAWCC Member
Dec 6, 2020
Country
Sorry to hear it. I've been working on this thing. Someone did a horrible job lacquering, runs everywhere. But I like the gold tint and the over all look of it, so I'll leave it as it is. And it would be too much work to strip it! The size of the escape wheel and the anchor on this thing are baffling. A miniature clock, and these things look full size. Maybe I just got a bucket of parts.
I think the only thing miniature about them are very small plates and the overall height . Mines the same way.

Last edited:

Schatznut

NAWCC Member
Sep 26, 2020
SoCal
Country
Region
Well dang. I know the feeling - I bought an Atmos once that was only a pile of rubble when I opened it up. Then I had to fight with the seller to accept the return. If it weren't for sequential photos from the unpacking process, I might not have prevailed. I wish this was a rare occurrence, but it seems not. I tend to go for the derelicts like you, and sometimes it's a hard decision as to what to do. Is it worth the hassle and the fight to return it? Is it worth trying to salvage? Do I part it out or (gulp) toss it in the dumpster?

Ken M

Feb 28, 2009
Holiday, FL
Country
Region
An Atmos? That would make me sick, it's not like a $44 Euramca. Anyway, after yanking the wheels out of the pivots, got it cleaned up. The suspension spring is in pretty good shape, just broke off at the bottom block. So it's a wee bit short, but slapped it together and it appears to be running, a half hour is not running, but I have hope.The locking mechanism I can live without, I might have a cup to fill the gaping hole. For the money, I guess it's ok. Interesting clock, wish I had a nice one.

Ken M

Feb 28, 2009
Holiday, FL
Country
Region
Lesson learned. I went to a glass shop with my two panels, he said he didn't have anything that thin and didn't know who did. He gave me a piece of his thinnest stuff, but it's too thick. He suggested a picture frame from Dollar General, or the like. I stopped at DG, frames were $5 ea, and the glass was very thin, really thin. So I went to a thrift store and found a frame with glass the exact thickness I needed, $2.99. So I took it up to the glass shop, he's cutting both pieces out of that one frame, $11. It will be done by the end of the day.

Ken M

Feb 28, 2009
Holiday, FL
Country
Region
I messed up, this glass is too think too. Back to the thrift store with calipers tomorrow, try it again. At least it's not expensive.

Ken M

Feb 28, 2009
Holiday, FL
Country
Region
Regulating this clock is very difficult, fine adjustments are impossible, it's really a hit and miss thing.

Darrmann39

NAWCC Member
Dec 6, 2020
Country
Regulating this clock is very difficult, fine adjustments are impossible, it's really a hit and miss thing.
I've messed with mine for months and never really gotten it. I got it now about a few minutes off a week and that's the closest I've come.

Reactions: Ken M

Darrmann39

NAWCC Member
Dec 6, 2020
Country
Seeing your post got me going on a case I had, i originally bought the movement that was in it for parts. The movement was unusable besides the parts i needed. So I bought another euramca movement today to install in it.

20210618_221855.jpg

Ken M

Feb 28, 2009
Holiday, FL
Country
Region
Well, I lucked out. Went to make another adjustment and I noticed a light scribe on the plate, I set the pendulum to that mark, and it looks about perfect! Thank you to the someone that went through the thing and saved future fellows some of the trouble, took me a week to run into it.

Reactions: Darrmann39

Darrmann39

NAWCC Member
Dec 6, 2020
Country
Well, I lucked out. Went to make another adjustment and I noticed a light scribe on the plate, I set the pendulum to that mark, and it looks about perfect! Thank you to the someone that went through the thing and saved future fellows some of the trouble, took me a week to run into it.
I actually just got mine really close. I think I'm finally done trying.
Here's the one I just got done putting together

20210625_160201.jpg 20210625_160211.jpg 20210625_160237.jpg

Ken M

Feb 28, 2009
Holiday, FL
Country
Region
I bought this darn think mainly because of the pendulum. Grrr. I thought I had it, then I didn't. I get close, tweak it, and I'm off by a mile. Grrr.

Darrmann39

NAWCC Member
Dec 6, 2020
Country
I bought this darn think mainly because of the pendulum. Grrr. I thought I had it, then I didn't. I get close, tweak it, and I'm off by a mile. Grrr.
If you get it closer then 2 minutes a day leave it lol. It's the same thing I've been dealing with for months.

Darrmann39

NAWCC Member
Dec 6, 2020
Country
Why make a clock that can't keep time:???:?
Well the lock your missing on the bottom is supposed to lock it in positionthen your turn the dial but it's still easy to move to far. I do have mine real close. Probably a minute a week.

Ken M

Feb 28, 2009
Holiday, FL
Country
Region
I can hold it on my hand, same as locking, and use the wheel, doesn't make any difference to me. If you can see it move, you've made a 10 minute an hour change!

Darrmann39

NAWCC Member
Dec 6, 2020
Country
I can hold it on my hand, same as locking, and use the wheel, doesn't make any difference to me. If you can see it move, you've made a 10 minute an hour change!
I agree, bad design. Looks cool but way to hard to get right.

Wayne A

NAWCC Member
Sep 24, 2019
Country
Region
Yep when closely dialing it in the weights are only moving a fraction of a thousandth. Not going to be able to see that.

Wayne

Darrmann39

NAWCC Member
Dec 6, 2020
Country
Yep when closely dialing it in the weights are only moving a fraction of a thousandth. Not going to be able to see that.

Wayne
Yea so how do you move something that little with a mechanism that wants to move it way more before you realize it's moving.

Ken M

Feb 28, 2009
Holiday, FL
Country
Region
I was experimenting earlier with an old set of calipers on the underside. I can use the thumbwheel to open that slot going to the slow side. I just tried ,005" to slow it down a bit, I'll see how much that does and adjust accordingly.

20210704_202723.jpg

Wayne A

NAWCC Member
Sep 24, 2019
Country
Region
Yea so how do you move something that little with a mechanism that wants to move it way more before you realize it's moving.
Faced with trying to get a poor design to work is tough. Don't have it in hand to say for sure but perhaps get a friction fit to the weight slider and use caliper to measure and make small adjustments. Also might help to only adjust half the weights, two opposed at a time.

Darrmann39

NAWCC Member
Dec 6, 2020
Country
Faced with trying to get a poor design to work is tough. Don't have it in hand to say for sure but perhaps get a friction fit to the weight slider and use caliper to measure and make small adjustments. Also might help to only adjust half the weights, two opposed at a time.
They all move at the same time when adjusting really no way to adjust just 2. I think if it's ever gotten right on its by pure luck and at some point you just have to be happy with close and fixing time by moving hands every know and then

Ken M

Feb 28, 2009
Holiday, FL
Country
Region
The weights do not operate independently, they are all mounted to the bottom plate. Mine gained a couple minutes overnight. I'll move the plate another .005". That's just in travel of the bottom plate, that translates to much less of weight movement. It may take a while, but at least I'm not going +10 minutes per hours to -10 minutes per hour with one adjustment!

Reactions: Darrmann39

Ken M

Feb 28, 2009
Holiday, FL
Country
Region
Correction, the weights are not mounted to the bottom plate, they are not mounted to anything. The screws are screwed into the weights, and the screws slide along channels in the bottom plate, moving the weight in or out, in unison.

Ken M

Feb 28, 2009
Holiday, FL
Country
Region
Almost there, couple thousandths and I think I'll have it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clockman1965
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller