Euramca by Edgar Henn

Discussion in '400-Day & Atmos' started by Wayne A, Nov 26, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Wayne A

Wayne A Registered User

Sep 24, 2019
    Retired, process controll systems
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Recent arrival Edgar Henn P1088 with that 500deg plus rotation. So when I first saw this one it reminded me of old "war of the worlds" movies alien walkers, so between that and the high rotation this clock has I had to have it.

Anyway I get to the mainspring and it looks like a puffed cinnamon roll, think I should replace that? I'm thinking I should replace it.

Had a chuckle when opening up the shell of the pendulum balls. Yes you can put a square lantern in a round shell. My other Eurmaca has the coach lamp pendulum shells with the same weights. Curious to see if its going to be 7.5 or 8 bpm.

Clocks seems to be in decent shape other than being very oily and dirty. Looks like it was in the shop back in 1960 because they annoyingly used a knife to label it under the base. Wish shops did not do that..

20191126_143531.jpg 20191126_165442.jpg 20191126_152216.jpg 20191126_145451.jpg

2. whatgoesaround

whatgoesaround Registered User

Jan 22, 2008
    Male
    science teacher
    south carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The mainspring is coned; it should be replaced. On the other hand, it is getting 500 degrees of rotation; does nbot seem to be a problem. Maybe, the weights in the pendulum have something to do with that. Maybe too light and the mainspring is just throwing them around.

3. Burkhard Rasch

Burkhard Rasch Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Male
    General-and trauma surgeon
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #3 Burkhard Rasch, Nov 27, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
    mainsprings often are neglected components of antique clocks and frequently exchanged when broken. Often nobody looks at them untill they break and then replace without further reasoning.
    This spring is interesting: It is signed "finis" which in Latin means "the end" (haha,as if we hadn´t realised that this is the end of the spring,how stupid they think we are:rolleyes::rolleyes: ) and I´m pretty sure it is the original spring. Maybe with a little googeling one could nail down the maker and the time it was made.
    If it were mine I´d service it,reinstall and use it as long as the clock wants to run with it.
    Jut my 2cts,though...
    Re the shaped weights in the round spheres : look at the weird history of Henn-Herr-Reiner and Neueck to understand why they threw different components together to produce a sellable clock for a compettitive price.
    Burkhard

4. Wayne A

Wayne A Registered User

Sep 24, 2019
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'm going to replace the mainspring. This clock was not running when I received it, but I have another with the same mech so I know it will be a spinner. Seems these units had oversized springs and wide anchors that just generate more rotation.

5. Wayne A

Wayne A Registered User

Sep 24, 2019
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I don't normally just replace springs unless I see uneven coiling or corrosion. This is the first heavily coned one I have ran across which made me think maybe it had been put in by hand as a replacement. Saw the FINIS stamp and made sure to include it in the picture. I've seen makers marks on springs before but never "the end" stamped so close to,...the end of the spring.
    Going to look into the history.

6. MartinM

MartinM Registered User

Jun 24, 2011
    Male
    Medical Insurance Systems Analyst
    El Dorado, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I was always told "FINIS" is the biggest clue that the spring is French in origin.

7. Wayne A

Wayne A Registered User

Sep 24, 2019
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Took a better picture of the spring, almost looks like there's a couple of symbols below the finis stamp.

20191127_130109.jpg

8. Wayne A

Wayne A Registered User

Sep 24, 2019
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Mainspring replaced and all cleaned up. This is another 7.5bpm clock with carriage weights inside the round balls so maybe its any plate 1088 that's 7.5bpm?

With the new mainspring and less than a days running its turning 560deg so it may yet go higher with more run time.

20191202_083355.jpg

9. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes i would replace that m spring, as you say its coned. I rarely replace them, just a clean and lube seems they are good to go after.

10. Wayne A

Wayne A Registered User

Sep 24, 2019
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    New dome came so wanted to post what it looks like under glass. Clock was missing the suspension spring guard and its one of the few that I actually like the looks of and function.

20191202_131622.jpg 20191202_131721.jpg