ETA movement and loose sweep second hand

Discussion in 'Watch Repair' started by beebe, Dec 8, 2012.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. beebe

beebe New Member

Nov 27, 2010
    I just put a new ETA movement [FONT=&quot]F06111-3. The watch is a TAG....anyway , the sweep second hand is loose. I am not sure what to do.

Your feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Beebe
    [/FONT]

2. emso

emso Registered User

Jun 17, 2012
    exchange it.

br
    emso

3. mrbill

mrbill Registered User

Jun 5, 2006
    Is it loose on the post or when you put it on the pinion of the watch ?

if the tube is loose on the hand.... I use my staking set "centering" punch that I have sharpened to a 60 degree point.
    "very sharp" the tip fits into the "tube" of the second hand, balancing the hand on the post I insert the "tip" of the centering punch in the second hand tube, give it a very slight "tap" with the end of my tweezers, and the tube in the hand is tight.

If it's loose when you put it on the sweep seconds pinion ? If you have a set of "pivot" broaches ? very small, small enough to fit through the tube of the second hand. then take a pair of "D" tweezers and about 1/2 way up the tube , give it a pinch. The "D" tweezers look like a big pair of toe nail clippers only the jaws are flush.

The pivot broach through the tube of the hand keep you from cutting the tube in half.

4. blue92

blue92 Registered User

Sep 24, 2012
    If the tube on the SS hand isn't tight enough and it spins on the center pinion you can tighten the tube by putting the hand tube in a small pin vice and slowly tighten the vice on the tube. Checking it as you go so you don't over tighten the SS hand tube. My experience is there's less chance of damaging the SS hand tube this way than using D tweezers. Good luck.