ETA 6498 Dial Dimensions -- Specific Detailed Technical Drawing?

Discussion in 'Wrist Watches' started by dpn, Sep 3, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. dpn

dpn Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 12, 2020
    Male
    Environmenral Consultant
    Sacramento, California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello everyone,

I'm working on a custom watch dial project, and find myself in need of the specific technical drawing showing the exact dimensions of an ETA 6498 dial. It's possible and easy to find half-height (0.2mm high) blank brass dials, with feet and all holes drilled, for NH35 and NH36 compatible movements. Here's an affordable and, until recently, readily-available example. Try as I might, I cannot find a similar half-height blank brass dial with feet for the ETA 6497 or 6498. Because of this, I am contemplating ordering a run of 6498-compatible 0.2mm height blank brass dials from a supplier in China. In order to do this, I need the exact dial dimensions, exact locations of the holes for the hands, exact locations for the dial feet, etc.

The exact dial dimensions of dials compatible with various Seiko movements are readily available from Seiko. See, e.g., the NH36 specification sheet here, showing exact dimensions of the dial components.

NH36 Dial Specifications.JPG

On a blog from 2014, I found a very low resolution snapshot of what I'm looking for exactly. Unfortunately, it is too low resolution for me to be 100% confident in the provided dimensions. The picture is below:
    6497-1.jpg

The available technical references from ETA for the 6497 do not include this drawing, and I'm having difficulty even finding the technical reference for the 6498 at all.

I am attempting to contact the author of that blog post, but I don't have a lot of hope that he'll have what I'm looking for. I will also start seeing if this information is available for the Seagull clones of these movements. If those fail, I'll need to start researching the old patent / trademark filings from Unitas for these movements.

Does anyone have any insights on where I might be able to find technical drawings for the ETA 6498's dial requirements?

Thanks in advance,

Dan

2. EscapeWheel

EscapeWheel Registered User

Mar 19, 2003
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    dpn likes this.
  3. dpn

dpn Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 12, 2020
    Male
    Environmenral Consultant
    Sacramento, California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you so much EscapeWheel, that was exactly what I was looking for.