• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Estate Sale Find

Leej07

New User
May 14, 2016
Country
Hello, I joined this forum just today in hopes of learning more about a clock I just bought.

I found it at an estate sale, for $16. I managed to talk the seller down to $5.

I've managed to determine it's a Junghans carriage clock, at least a century old, but I have a few questions.

Firstly, is there any way to get a more definite age for it? Is it common? Rare? Desirable?

Secondly, as the picture shows, the case has a hollow space in the base, and three holes. Did the hollow space serve any purpose, and, if so, what was it?

Attachments

Jeremy Woodoff

NAWCC Member
Jun 30, 2002
Brooklyn
Country
Region
The holes look like they were for an alarm bell and hammer, probably an optional feature that could be supplied with this case style.

Leej07

New User
May 14, 2016
Country
Ohh, I see! Makes sense!

I noticed the case is a bit rough around the edges, and the clock is even entirely devoid of hands.
My hope is to get it properly restored. I think it's very pretty.

davidpaul

Oct 6, 2012
50 Miles South of Tucson, Arizona
Country
Hello, I joined this forum just today in hopes of learning more about a clock I just bought.

I found it at an estate sale, for $16. I managed to talk the seller down to $5.

I've managed to determine it's a Junghans carriage clock, at least a century old, but I have a few questions.

Firstly, is there any way to get a more definite age for it? Is it common? Rare? Desirable?

Secondly, as the picture shows, the case has a hollow space in the base, and three holes. Did the hollow space serve any purpose, and, if so, what was it?
Definitely worth 5 bucks. In fact, definitely worth the original asking price. This will make a nice project.

By the way, what are the dimensions of this clock?

David <><

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidgordonf
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-