• We are aware of the performance issues with the forum. These are due to problems with Comcast's shared lines in the Columbia, PA area. On December 15, we signed a contract to bring a dedicated fiber line to the forum servers. It should take somewhere between 30 and 90 days to install. Thank you for your patience.

Escape wheel

tlw1344

NAWCC Member
Apr 30, 2007
Central Alabama
clockworksofmontgomery.com
Country
Region
I have a wall clock that needs a new escape wheel. It is a half dead beat escapement. The EW turns counter clockwise. Are the escape wheel at Timesavers for dead beat or half dead beat? Does it matter?

Thanks.

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Number of teeth and diameter of the wheel are the critical measurements. The wheel can be mounted in either direction.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Usually the anchor has to be made for the wheel. David LaBounty could make one for you. Be ready with the size of the wheel and number of teeth. He may need more information too.

Is yours broken or missing?

tlw1344

NAWCC Member
Apr 30, 2007
Central Alabama
Country
Region
Lot of teeth were bent. I straighten them but I can not get the index set on some teeth. I have tried to check the index but they seem to be the same. Thought about replacing the EW but I think it makes a difference if it is a half deadbeat vs a deadbeat escapement.

Randy Beckett

NAWCC Member
May 23, 2012
Mt. Pleasant, Tx
Country
Region
Who was the maker of the movement, and the number of EW teeth? Someone might have one in a junker movement if you could post a few pictures of the movement and/or escape wheel.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
All deadbeats work the same. The only difference is the level of sophistication. The deadbeat does like longer thinner teeth with a little more foward slant on its escape wheel.
The teeth can be quite stubby on a recoil escapement.
Willie X

Tinker Dwight

Oct 11, 2010
Calif. USA
Lot of teeth were bent. I straighten them but I can not get the index set on some teeth. I have tried to check the index but they seem to be the same. Thought about replacing the EW but I think it makes a difference if it is a half deadbeat vs a deadbeat escapement.
What is the index?
Tinker Dwight

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
If you have a few teeth that you know are good, make an impression of them in clay, they carefully compare all of the others to that impression. Irregularities will be quite apparent.

leeinv66

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Mar 31, 2005
Launceston Tasmania
Country
Region
A picture of the escape wheel you have would make things easier! Along with some of the movement and the anchor.

tlw1344

NAWCC Member
Apr 30, 2007
Central Alabama
Country
Region
I call the index is the distance between the teeth. I took clay and tried to check the distance. I had a replacement EW, 46 tooth and replaced it. I set the lock and drop but still have trouble keeping it running. It is a ST time only. I have trouble with half bead beat escapements for some reason. I took the movement apart and cleaned plus replaced the bushing for the EW thinking the wheel was moving up an down a little. I will keep working. Thanks for the suggestions.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Some good close-up pics of the verge at lock position on both sides would help us here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewFeldwick
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller