Escape Wheel Diameter

Discussion in 'Clock Construction' started by dandydude, Sep 10, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. dandydude

dandydude Registered User

Nov 30, 2014
    Male
    Clockmaker
    India
    Country Flag:
    What do you think is the optimum size/diameter for a 30 teeth EW. The escapement is a Graham Dead Beat). The clock has a seconds pendulum. I would like to make it as small as possible to make it efficient. Efficient as in i am trying to use the lowest driving weight possible. One issue with reducing the diameter is the teeth thickness gets smaller and looks really weak.

Dandydude

2. Allan Wolff

Allan Wolff Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Mar 17, 2005
    Male
    Tulsa, OK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I don't know if it is the optimum size, but most of them I see are approximately 1 inch (25mm) in diameter.

3. Jim DuBois

Jim DuBois Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I find it more difficult to get the geometry correct on smaller escapements. One of the better high precision escape wheels I have recently seen was a very thin, very thinly spoked wheel made of titanium. It was about 2" in diameter.

4. dandydude

Nov 30, 2014
    Male
    Clockmaker
    India
    Country Flag:
    Hi Jim,

I currently use a 45mm dia escape wheel. I like it because the tooth thickness is comfortable. I would however like to make it smaller to make it efficient. Lighter also is on the agenda. I thought of titanium too. However because of the abrasion issue with titanium I thought of ti-n coating the teeth. Best of both worlds. I would still like to reduce the diameter.

5. dandydude

Nov 30, 2014
    Male
    Clockmaker
    India
    Country Flag:
    Hi alan.
    I thought most of Of the escape wheels that are as small as 25mm are with a bent strip pallet. Are they really used with good regulator clocks?