• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

escape wheel and verge

clockman230@comcast.net

Jan 30, 2005
Country
I bought a replacement verge and escape wheel from Merritts. It is not the same as the one I am replacing; it is smaller. how do I fit it on the existing plate? The pin that holds the anchor escapement is not long enough and is in the wrong location . The original escape wheel has teeth that are bent and worn. The original verge is broken from adjusting the pallets.

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
We may be able to help you more if we could see pictures of the movement, esp. the EW and anchor pin, and the replacement parts that you bought from Merritt's.

clockman230@comcast.net

Jan 30, 2005
Country
sorry, i do not know how to send pictures. it is merritts' onlly 42 tooth escape wheel with matching verge. the anchor pin is for the original es ape wheel; it is in the wrong location for merritts verge and wheel.

Jim DuBois

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2008
Magnolia, TX
Country
Region
The 42 tooth escape wheel from Merritts and other suppliers are for kitchen clocks not wood works. Proper escape wheels and verges can be had from Don Bruno at Torrington Clocks http://torringtonclockco.com/ I have no vested interest in Don or his clock work. I am not aware of any others offering the correct escape wheel and verge although both can be fabricated by true clockmakers...

R. Croswell

Apr 4, 2006
Trappe, Md.
www.greenfieldclockshop.com
Country
Region
It really would be helpful to see this movement. I assume that this IS a wooden movement because it is posted here. Old wooden movements that are this used up often need other repairs as well. You might want to consider sending the complete movement to Don Bruno to have the parts properly fitted rather than just purchasing the parts along. He will be able to advise if your movement needs anything else repaired to operate properly. By the way, don't expect to get these special made and fitted parts for anything close to what you paid Merritt's!

RC

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nrizzo
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Swiss Fake by Kent