Erich Schlenker - Germany

dashley

Apr 30, 2015
Tennesse
Country
Picked up another clock. The info on the movement is :Erich Schlenker - Germany 12 CM - 196. The clock is 12" wide x 6 3/8/high and 3 3/8 deep. All the parts are there and it supposed to run. Pics attached. The face has the words "Black Forest" below the 12:00 number. I'm trying to get a date on this one. Any help would be greatly appreciated :
Sch1w.jpg Sch2w.jpg Sch3w.jpg Sch4w.jpg Sch5w.jpg Sch6w.jpg Sch7w.jpg Sch8w.jpg Sch9w.jpg
Thanks!

-dan

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Nice clock Dan, i wonder if those flowers were painted on after it was sold in its life. Does the clock run.

dashley

Apr 30, 2015
Tennesse
Country
Kevin,

The flowers seem to be as old as the clock. Where the wood has dried out and crazed, the flowers are all crazed in the same fashion.
Just buy chance I found an identical one listed back in 2014 http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/antique-schlenker-mantle-clock-made-511851332
It has the same flowers. I even compared it against mine to make sure I wasn't looking at the same clock. Its not. My clock has some small chips and dings in it that don't match up to the one in the link and visa versa.

I made a small adjustment to the hanger mount (cock block) and it's been running non-stop for 38 minutes now.

Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member
Jun 1, 2007
Twistringen
Country
Region
If You google with Erich Schlenker You´ll find quiet a lot of info,mostly in German.It's one of the smaller black forest firms who started in the late 19th cent. and went bancrupt in the 70ies.I´d guess Your clock is from the early 50ies since at that time many BF firms used this kind of decoration.Indeed the niveau of salaries was quiet low after the war,the germans were desperately looking for exporting their goods to countries with a strong currency,som many firms in the BF had one or two "artists" painting flowers and other decoration for a piece rate.Schatz for example had their anniversaries painted in a comparable manner,also KundO.
Best
Burkhard

Last edited by a moderator:

Mixalis

Nov 22, 2020
Country
I'm hoping 5 years won't delete the people in this post. Today I purchased the identical Erich Schlenker mantle clock with hand painted embellishments. It is in perfectly good condition except the main spring seems to be broken and it won't wind on the right hand side. It's an amazingly beautiful clock.... just a shame the spring is broken.

Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment
Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fasteddie
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
How to wire a 24 volt secondary for a 12 volt ITR/IBM Master clock system by Toughtool