Eppner pocket watch from 1917 - in details

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by pmwas, Mar 22, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. For the new NAWCC home page
    Click this image at the upper left corner of this page.
  1. pmwas

pmwas Registered User

Dec 12, 2010
    Sosnowiec, Poland
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It has been (already!!!) 1 year since this arrived to me from USA.
    1 year and no time to attend to it - that shows how little time I have in my life recently.
    Not like each and every watch has to wait a year, it's simply that a simple, cylinder movement did not seem interesting enough and whenever I found some time, there was something more 'urgent' ;)

Anyway - let's get a 100 years back in time…

It's 1917., during World War 1, somewhere around the turn of the tide.
    The Three Emperors' Corner no longer exists with Germans' rule over the formerly Russian part.
    Franz Joseph I of Austria died last year, the Emperor of Russia abdicated in February and Wilhelm's triumph over France and England is already dubious to say the least.
    The world is about to change forever…

At these disturbed times one could hop on a train heading west - from the Corner, through Myslowice to Katowice (Katowitz)…

IMG_4425.JPG

...and on west towards Wroclaw (Breslau), and the south to Silberberg, where Eppner's clock factory was making clocks and watches.

IMG_4424.JPG

Yes, it's the big building with red roof - A.Eppner&co. Silberberg.
    The factory was closed forever in 1945 and never reopened, the building demolished and Silberberg watchmaking almost forgotten…

The watch I'm showing you today was made about that time. Despite wartime - it's not a military piece, but purely 'civilian', presented to a factory worker by Mr Eugen Füllner in 1917.

IMG_4423.JPG

Disassembly was a bit tricky, because I could not remove one dial pin..
    I had to remove the barrel/train bridge first and then remove the dial itself by pressing the pin out from the other side (no way to get there with barrel in the way).

The watch has a stopwork mechanism in the barrel.

IMG_4395.JPG

This has once been deactivated by pressing the barrel arbor pin in, so that it would not engage.
    In the era of new, better mainsprings, this was probably a good idea (increasing the power reserve), but since I always like everything to be as it was (whenever possible), I pressed the pin back out.

IMG_4400.JPG

The stopworks began to engage again, so I could reassemble the movement :)
    It is a very simple - 6 jewel cylinder escapement - movement, with an ordinary 4-wheel train (1st being the going barrel) and a rocker-bar pusher operated setting mechanism.
    It also has a click release screw, as the click is under the dial...

IMG_4405.JPG

Assembling the balance I noticed the limiting pin on the balance was not in line with the one on the balance cock.
    This usually means the watch is out of beat, unless someone messed up the cylinder itself…
    I corrected that after confirming it was evidently out of beat.

IMG_4413.JPG

The stem is fitted in the case, and I removed it only because I wanted to give the case a good bath.
    The movement now cased…

IMG_4418.JPG

...and working.

It runs strong and pretty much in beat, but I have to admit adjusting the beat in a cylinder watch is much more difficult and frustrating than in a lever one :)

The case is made of 0.800 silver and has some gilt. It is in very good condition and the watch had not been worn much.
    The dial has a crack and a big chip over one of the feet…

IMG_4422.JPG

Were the dial better - this would be remarkable, with the chip - just good :)

That's it for today. I have to say year after year I have to use a magnifying glass more and more and I think my early-stage presbyopia is getting more and more apparent, so…

IMG_4393.JPG

...perhaps these classy vintage reading glasses might become more than a fancy gadget one day ;)

Thanks for looking!

2. pmwas

pmwas Registered User

Dec 12, 2010
    Sosnowiec, Poland
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Ooops… That was Heinrich Füllner, not Eugen (Eugen was Heinrich's son)...

John Arrowood likes this.