Entry Pallet/Exit Pallet adjustment? New Haven Steeple 1870s

legosnell

Nov 5, 2020
Country
New Haven Steeple movement/movements 1870s timeframe. I have a New Haven Steeple type clock I'm working on, trying to refurbish and the original movement has an issue with the second wheel on the timing/going train. 3 teeth are damaged and unrepairable for a novice like me. When you try to slightly bend them back in place, they break. I found a similar New Haven movement on ebay for $30 with free shipping, seemed like a good solution to me. It looks like the same movement although the winding arbor is slightly smaller since the winding key doesn't fit perfectly. I could use the second wheel to repair the original movement or use the ebay movement if the pivot holes are good. Pivot holes look fine, and movement is complete with the exception of the pallet and crutch assembly. Some rust on levers and metal parts but I can probably live with that. Question is when I try and use the pallet and crutch assembly from the original movement, on the ebay movement, the Entry pallet and Exit pallet don't seem adjusted quite right for the escape wheel. The escape wheel can spin freely. Is it possible to make a very small bend in the Exit Pallet, tweek it some to get it to work? If so how should I go about this.

Appreciate the help and advice.

Larry G
Humble, Texas

Escapement 1.jpg Escapement 2.jpg Escapement 3.jpg 20220816_105256.jpg 20220816_105314.jpg

Last edited:

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Those verges are hardened at the pallets, but usually not in the center. You might try closing the distance between the pallets and see how it works. Alternately, you might be able to find a new verge for the number of teeth on the escape wheel (Timesavers). New ones are not polished or hardened, so you would have to do that.

legosnell

Nov 5, 2020
Country
Those verges are hardened at the pallets, but usually not in the center. You might try closing the distance between the pallets and see how it works. Alternately, you might be able to find a new verge for the number of teeth on the escape wheel (Timesavers). New ones are not polished or hardened, so you would have to do that.
Shutterbug, since you say the pallets are hardened, do you think that an attempt to slightly bend the exit pallet might cause it to breaK? I counted the teeth on the escape wheels. Definitely different. Original movement has 37 teeth, ebay movement has 42. Appreciate it

I might need to just replace the escape wheel on the ebay movement so that the Pallet/crutch assembly matches the escape wheel, rather than trying to bend around on the exit pallet and possibly breaking it since it's hardened steel. The lantern pinion on both escape wheels are identical.

Last edited:

legosnell

Nov 5, 2020
Country
I th
You are asking for problems mixing and matching escapement parts. I suggest that you stick with your original movement. Take the second wheel from the donor movement if it is identical.

RC
I think your right about that after messing with it some. That's what I'll do. Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trikky2
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-