entry hall looking better than it have has....

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
didn't think i'd be able to fit them, but adding my four latest clocks (previously posted, and from the left), suddenly my entry hall is looking pretty good... this is what i see every morning when i get up and head out of the mbr.... :)

entry.jpg

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
Nice way to start/end each day, Bruce!

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
Looks great, our hall is now settled too a great view when you come through the front door

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
I did a thread, though I can probably find the pic again

MuseChaser

NAWCC Member
Feb 5, 2019
Country
Region
What's with this "quality, not quantity" approach?!?!? ;) I should probably start giving that more attention myself. I'd post some pics of the various "attractively displayed" collections in my house, but I'd get laughed off the forum. Pics in this thread are great... beautiful clocks and displays.

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
several more turning up today, fortunately only two are mine and need a permanent home.

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
Well, just had to get into the act.

Here's what you see IF one were to come through the front door. By the way, I never use the front door, always the side door:

front hall 2.JPG

The awful cootie green carpet, worn and stained, is left over from the original owner. It covers wonderful birch floors. I've lived in the house since 2004 and never got around to removing it. The previous owner put the carpeting down over the floors which need refinishing. I just haven't gotten around to that. My down stairs 1/2 bath is full of clocks and goodies so I leave the door open.

If one ascended the steps and looked back, here's what one would see:

front hall 1.JPG

A lot of this stuff is inventory, too. Hopefully, some will be gone by the end of the summer.

Note the empty tall case clock. Pine in oxblood red. Typical of the ones produced in the Plymouth, Ct. area. It houses, or once housed, a rather scarce 8 day KEY WOUND ww by Thomas and Hoadley. Well, it's now been about 4 - 5 years (?) that it has been with someone being repaired. It did make a brief trip home...and did not operate properly so back it went. I am hopeful that someday I will have it back and working for more than a few hours at a time. I keep a picture of the dial in the hood door to remind me of what it might look like...someday?

RM

MuseChaser

NAWCC Member
Feb 5, 2019
Country
Region
Well, just had to get into the act.

Here's what you see IF one were to come through the front door. By the way, I never use the front door, always the side door:

View attachment 657944

The awful cootie green carpet, worn and stained, is left over from the original owner. It covers wonderful birch floors. I've lived in the house since 2004 and never got around to removing it. The previous owner put the carpeting down over the floors which need refinishing. I just haven't gotten around to that. My down stairs 1/2 bath is full of clocks and goodies so I leave the door open.

If one ascended the steps and looked back, here's what one would see:

View attachment 657945

A lot of this stuff is inventory, too. Hopefully, some will be gone by the end of the summer.

Note the empty tall case clock. Pine in oxblood red. Typical of the ones produced in the Plymouth, Ct. area. It houses, or once housed, a rather scarce 8 day KEY WOUND ww by Thomas and Hoadley. Well, it's now been about 4 - 5 years (?) that it has been with someone being repaired. It did make a brief trip home...and did not operate properly so back it went. I am hopeful that someday I will have it back and working for more than a few hours at a time. I keep a picture of the dial in the hood door to remind me of what it might look like...someday?

RM
I maybe shouldn'ta outta showed them there pictures to my wife.....she was already kinda concerned about where our house was headed with my clock obsession....

Reactions: Bruce Alexander

Jim DuBois

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2008
Magnolia, TX
Country
Region
And here is RM entertaining in his living room. Who is that fat old guy anyhow? (not RM) Interesting settee he has. And admit it Bob, you like that green carpet! But, you do have an impressive front hall!

IMG_1117.JPG

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
And here is RM entertaining in his living room. Who is that fat old guy anyhow? (not RM) Interesting settee he has. And admit it Bob, you like that green carpet! But, you do have an impressive front hall!

View attachment 657977
Thanks.

Gee, I forgot about that photo! That was a fun visit!!

What nice memories.

The "décor" has changed some. I'm pointing to a Brewster ogee with a 30 hour cast iron back plate movement you sold me about 1,000 years ago at a Chapter 8 meeting. In the dining room now.

Still have the porcelain "settee" with built in water feature, though.

RM

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
ok, so as much as i look up to rm, jim and nick for their expertise and experience, i have to say they're pretty clueless about how to make best use of their space(s).

rm - if you're not using the front door, cover it w/ a piece of 3/8" ply, stain, and then hang a few more clocks

jim - those bookshelves can obviously go in the garage. if the wife has to park her car outside, so be it... i'm sure she'd like more space in the house?

nick - i remember that photo and my comment at the time: get rid of the framed artwork and you'll have more room for clocks.

focus, boys!

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
nick - i remember that photo and my comment at the time: get rid of the framed artwork and you'll have more room for clocks.

focus, boys!
They need to be high enough not to bang into them, it is a narrow hall. I have 4 waiting to go up on a wall somewhere and three more coming that need wall space too.

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
They need to be high enough not to bang into them
then people will need to be careful, won't they! :)

here's a mockup... think of how many more clocks you can buy! :)

20210305_162445.jpg

Reactions: RAK

Jim DuBois

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2008
Magnolia, TX
Country
Region
RM, I picked up another of the Brewster 30-hr cast iron backplate with 2 brass springs ogee recently. First photo and this one is in the collection.

The three tallclocks lived in the front hall until 2 months ago. They are now all at the NAWCC Museum, hopefully, to be on display soon. From left to right is a David Blasdel 1755, the center is a Timothy Cheney pre-revolutionary war brass dial big woodworks, and on the right is a quite rare woodwork movement with iron dial Nathaniel Hamlin, Oxford Maine. circa 1780-1790. The Blasdel is exceptional in that the case retains its original paint. Painted to look like rosewood and ebony for the greater part. What is the chance of a revolutionary war clock having original paint?

And Bruce, the book shelves are full of NAWCC Bulletins, from 1943 to current. And I don't use them at all anymore what with all the online resources. I spent hours/days/weeks for a long time reading and rereading them all until about 20 years ago. And for moving them to the garage, you don't understand the problem.

You think RM's front hall is a bit "tight?" As you can see from the following I don't work neatly, I have many projects, some fair number that will ever be finished, and I like tools too.......it is a very large garage with 2' longer on the two car portion and the RV portion is 12' longer and is 18' to the ceiling. That allows me to use the car lift to store projects and pieces and parts on.

20190909_083244.jpg 20200922_164429.jpg 20210607_183321.jpg 20210607_183359.jpg 20210607_183344.jpg 20210607_183328.jpg 20210607_183324.jpg 20210607_183313.jpg 20210607_183306.jpg 20210607_183259.jpg 20210607_183237.jpg 20210607_183230.jpg 20210607_183212.jpg 20210607_183206.jpg

MuseChaser

NAWCC Member
Feb 5, 2019
Country
Region
Woof... I had three movements torn down on my bench at the same time a few days ago and I couldn't sleep at night worrying about whether or not I'd be able to keep them straight despite taking ....ahem... precautions... during disassembly. You are now my hero, Jim.

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
RM, I picked up another of the Brewster 30-hr cast iron backplate with 2 brass springs ogee recently. First photo and this one is in the collection.

The three tallclocks lived in the front hall until 2 months ago. They are now all at the NAWCC Museum, hopefully, to be on display soon. From left to right is a David Blasdel 1755, the center is a Timothy Cheney pre-revolutionary war brass dial big woodworks, and on the right is a quite rare woodwork movement with iron dial Nathaniel Hamlin, Oxford Maine. circa 1780-1790. The Blasdel is exceptional in that the case retains its original paint. Painted to look like rosewood and ebony for the greater part. What is the chance of a revolutionary war clock having original paint?

And Bruce, the book shelves are full of NAWCC Bulletins, from 1943 to current. And I don't use them at all anymore what with all the online resources. I spent hours/days/weeks for a long time reading and rereading them all until about 20 years ago. And for moving them to the garage, you don't understand the problem.

You think RM's front hall is a bit "tight?" As you can see from the following I don't work neatly, I have many projects, some fair number that will ever be finished, and I like tools too.......it is a very large garage with 2' longer on the two car portion and the RV portion is 12' longer and is 18' to the ceiling. That allows me to use the car lift to store projects and pieces and parts on.

View attachment 657985 View attachment 657986 View attachment 657987 View attachment 657988 View attachment 657989 View attachment 657990 View attachment 657991 View attachment 657993 View attachment 657994 View attachment 657995 View attachment 657996 View attachment 657997 View attachment 657998 View attachment 657999
Nice E.C. Brewster ogee. It's clocks like that that make ogees interesting.

Them tall case clocks is mighty fine!!

Me thinks you need more projects.

ok, so as much as i look up to rm, jim and nick for their expertise and experience, i have to say they're pretty clueless about how to make best use of their space(s).

rm - if you're not using the front door, cover it w/ a piece of 3/8" ply, stain, and then hang a few more clocks

jim - those bookshelves can obviously go in the garage. if the wife has to park her car outside, so be it... i'm sure she'd like more space in the house?

focus, boys!
Well, the front door admits natural light to the entry hall. Also, in case of fire, nice to have a second means of egress.

RM

Daniel Finney

Mar 23, 2015
This has been the most enjoyable thread I've read in while! I see I have no problem at all. And if I did I'm in pretty good company. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: Royce

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
Well, the front door admits natural light to the entry hall. Also, in case of fire, nice to have a second means of egress.
if you put the plywood on right you could still open the door in case of emergencies…. :)

RAK

NAWCC Member
Jun 22, 2004
Beautiful State of Virginia
Country
Region
You guys Rock,

I have not been able to convince my wife that we need to have a entry way clock (or three) since we moved from Wisconsin seven years ago and no amount of cajoling has moved her off that position....

Back then she was a sport and we hung this fellow (now gone to a new family from NY) in the stairway to the basement just off the front entrance. The clock weighed around 65 pounds and to center it I couldn't hit a stud, so a friend recommended a drywall hanger rated for 200 pounds. Worked just fine. Even so, I always was a little worried about that thing dropping on someone's head.

1623158767781.png

Anyway, just a little jealous that the entryways to your homes attractively show off a bit your horological interest!

Bob

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
You guys Rock,

I have not been able to convince my wife that we need to have a entry way clock (or three) since we moved from Wisconsin seven years ago and no amount of cajoling has moved her off that position....

Back then she was a sport and we hung this fellow (now gone to a new family from NY) in the stairway to the basement just off the front entrance. The clock weighed around 65 pounds and to center it I couldn't hit a stud, so a friend recommended a drywall hanger rated for 200 pounds. Worked just fine. Even so, I always was a little worried about that thing dropping on someone's head.

View attachment 658063

Anyway, just a little jealous that the entryways to your homes attractively show off a bit your horological interest!

Bob
When someone like a plumber or the furnace guy, etc comes to the house, invariably they say “I see that you like clocks” or something to that effect. I usually respond that I hate the damn things just to see their reaction.

RM

Bruce Alexander

Sponsor
NAWCC Brass Member
Feb 22, 2010
Hanover, PA
www.testoftimeclocks.com
Country
Region
I've many mantel clocks (inventory) with few places to display them. I'm humbled by the way you folks have integrated your collections into well considered, attractive living spaces. After reading this Thread I can see that I really shouldn't consider myself a collector anymore. In my weak defense I can only offer the fact that we don't collect and hang wall clocks in this house. Perhaps when we downsize to a smaller house with the right type of wall construction, we'll revisit that decision. I think that we'll have to.

My point? Thanks for sharing some of your collections (living museums).

Regards,

Bruce

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
When people come to my home i sometimes hear. Your home is like a clock museum. I like the comment, but my wife not so much.:(

Reactions: PatH

daveR

NAWCC Member
Sep 10, 2008
melbourne, Australia
Country
Region
That could be difficult for Dean, he likes his books at least as much as he likes his clocks! see how much historical information he comes up with, it certainly doesn't come from the TV!

DeanT

Mar 22, 2009
Australia
Country
Region
That could be difficult for Dean, he likes his books at least as much as he likes his clocks! see how much historical information he comes up with, it certainly doesn't come from the TV!
You always need room for clock books, but you have quite a few bracket clocks not yet on display.
Yeah these ones are coming back from the cabinet restorer soon.

A0A410B1-AABC-4BAE-A112-B91E9E572AF1.jpeg

Bruce Alexander

Sponsor
NAWCC Brass Member
Feb 22, 2010
Hanover, PA
www.testoftimeclocks.com
Country
Region
Nice display Dean

My wife is a voracious reader. We have plenty of book shelves but they are sagging with books. A token amount of room for clocks...mostly on the top shelves. We donated a few hundred pounds of books to Goodwill in 2019/20. We're still overrun with them.

Bear in mind that I've been pushing "Kindle" for years, but we still receive them as not all titles she's interested in are available on Kindle. I've mentioned library membership. She doesn't bug me about "our" clocks. I suppose I shouldn't bug her about "her" books. :chuckling:

Reactions: DeanT

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
Yes, books!!

I recall the soliloquy in defense of books delivered by Samuel T. Cogley Elisha T. Cook in the episode of "Classic Star Trek". He was the attorney defending Captain Kirk at his Star Fleet court martial trial:

Star Trek TOS Court Martial 30 Samuel T Cogley Elisha Cook Jr.JPG

If I recall correctly, he delivers it in response to being questioned as to why he bothers with those dusty bulky books when he can access the knowledge of galaxies just by giving a voice command to the computer (sort of like Alexa?).

Mr. Cook would ultimately win the exoneration of Kirk by showing how the crucial evidence contained in the believed infallible computer was corrupted (hacked?)!!

On shelves, in book cases, stacked on the floor and less often referred to books, on shelves in the garage (with more inventory) into which I can just about squeeze my soccer mom van...and have to be careful when I open the door.

RM

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
We bought a rotating bookcase for clockbooks, but it has proved inadequate for such a big collection.

MuseChaser

NAWCC Member
Feb 5, 2019
Country
Region
Here... just to make you all feel even BETTER about your beautiful collections and displays... ;) ...

ClockShop1.jpg ClockShop2.jpg

Those are all in my basement shop. The bottom pic has two Seikoshas ("Seikoshi?") on top, two Hibinos ("Hibini?") on the bottom, and the faceless New Haven from another thread in the center.

The top pic shows clocks awaiting further attention. The two tambours up against the wall on the right in the back of the pic are both running very well, and were some of the first non-400-day clocks I attempted. They both have ....ummm... cosmetic challenges that make them nice shop clocks. The two schoolhouse clocks in that pic are the New Haven and Ingraham clocks I wrote about elsewhere with battery movements in them.. sigh... and the movement in the Ingraham (left) doesn't work. Still looking for real movements for them.

Getting a little backed up... should probably put the purchasing on hold for a while... ;) The rest of the "living" portion of the house has no further shelf or counterspace for clocks; that's all full now. Some wall space left. There's probably forty clocks not pictured here all running.

Fun story... my father, who is in his late eighties and more than a bit hard of hearing, but doing VERY well, and my sister in her late 50s were up visiting a few months ago. While we were having dinner here at the house, my father stopped eating for a second, got real quiet, then asked, "What's ticking?" I thought my sister was going to die laughing.. she said... "EVERYTHING??!!?!!!!!!"

Last edited:
Reactions: RAK and PatH

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whitrzac
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller