English Wall clocks / Dial clocks

Discussion in 'Horological Books' started by zedric, Dec 14, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. zedric

zedric Registered User

Aug 8, 2012
    I have Ronald Rose’s book on dial clocks, but was wondering if anyone can recommend any other books that touch on the subject? I’ve bought the remains of an interesting dial clock possibly dating 1780 to 1790 according to Ronald, and want to find a bit more about them.

2. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    When Ron Rose wrote that he said it was to fill a gap in the market for an area of clocks often overlooked. I think that's right and his the only book that covers them as a subject as far as I know.

Given that when I asked Andrew the first thing he said was ask Ron I think you have your answer there.

However he also suggested writing an article for clocks which might get you to somebody who has something similar. If those twp have never seen anything like it before it really could be a one off but it took so much work to mark out and engrave that dial it is hard to believe it was the only one, I think you need more examples of similar dials, including gravity driven ones.

3. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You should post some pics so people see what an amazing dial this is.

4. zedric

zedric Registered User

Aug 8, 2012
    OK, I've started a thread on the clock on in General Clock discussions..

Annual calendar dial - have you seen one like it?

The main thing about this clock is the dial engraving, which is quite unusual. I have a couple of books that show longcase clocks with dials with a pattern by James Ferguson, which has independently rotating rings to show the calendar, but have not seen anything quite like this one. If anyone has seen something similar, and either has an illustration of it or can point me to a book with this in, I'd be grateful..