English Verge / Fusee Watch Papers & Samplers

Allan C. Purcell

NAWCC Member
Feb 9, 2013
Germany
Country
Region
All I can say t6o that John, is you know quite well we were asked to move the JLS comments to the JLS thread. These last four posts should be moved there.

Allan.

Rich Newman

Chair
Director
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Apr 6, 2005
Illinois
www.colonialwatches.com
Country
Region
Back to the focus of this thread.
A number of comments relating to a wonderful watch paper printing plate were previously posted (message # 6, 10, 13, 16, 22, 23) for a London maker, William Hext, that likely dates to the 1740's (my estimate). Exceedingly few plates exist because they had a rather short life and the copper, a valuable metal, was recycled. How few, I don’t know. But in the 30 years that I’ve been interested in watch papers, I've recorded under 15. The Hext printing plate was the only one that I knew of that dates to the early 18 century until fairly recently when another one turned up. This is for James Tattlock who worked in Leeds. His dates are 1727 to 1740 according to Brian Loomes’ book on Yorkshire makers that he published in 1972. Tattlock advertised as a clock and watchmaker in Leeds in 1728 and married the year before in 1727. So, its nearly certain that this printing plate dates to that time, the late 1720’s, although could also be a bit later. I’ve posted two photo’s of this plate, the second is flipped with graphics software so its easier to read.

Tattlock 1.jpg Tattlock 2.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Allan C. Purcell

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmelfelt
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff