english tall case calandar advance part missing

klokwiz

NAWCC Member
Feb 4, 2009
Annapolis, MD
Country
Region
hi, my english 5 pillar movment is missing the advancing piece on the snail assy. the dial has a disc mounted below with teeth around the circumfrence. the snail tube has a threaded hole where the advancing wedge would be located. the ones I have seen in past are either a pressed in brass wedge or a pin sticking out from snail..

can anyone help with a description of what this part looks like so i can fabricate one. thanks, Joe

movmt frt.JPG

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
I have both, flags and wires. The flags I only have where there is another wheel to clear, the wire approach works if there is nothing in the way which would seem the case with yours. Easier to bend for adjustment too.

I didn't realise it was 5 pillar, there's posh. Even my London one has only 4, my Mercer had 5 but one got robbed out.

klokwiz

NAWCC Member
Feb 4, 2009
Annapolis, MD
Country
Region
Nick, thanks for the reference "flag" was wondering what to call it.. Yes I have one other 5 pillar it's in a rather inexpensive grain painted case with a plain dial, but high grade movmt. I am posting another photo of underside of the snail so people can see hole for mounting the flag. Does your flag have a screw holding it in place? Joe,.

movmt rack closeup.JPG

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
both of mine with flags have two footed flags for additional support and the flag is cantilevered over another wheel. (Actually I think over the snail will look for a pic.)

attachment.jpg attachment.jpg

surely yours just needs a wire though?

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
Nick,

Not sure I'm following you. wire though??

Joe

Refer back to my earlier response, I've only seen the flag version when there is a need to clear another wheel, on mine the snail.

Shimmy said as much and it's what I have since observed. When that isn't necessary a bit of spring wire does the job admirably and repairers tell me it is easier to adjust. One of my clocks uses a straight pin, I imagine that is very unforgiving

Rob P.

Dec 19, 2011
California
Country
Region
All you need is some sort of wire or pin or something to move the calendar wheel. Novice's second pic shows an "L" shaped flag soldered onto the bottom wheel below the snail.

Since you don't have that wheel, you need a different setup. Sometimes this is a wire pressed into a hole on the face of the snail. Your snail doesn't have a hole for a missing wire. You mentioned there's a hole in your snail tube. From what I see, your movement should have some sort of flag wire in the hole held by a grub screw down in the threaded hole on the end of the tube.

You will need to look at your dial setup to see how far the flag wire needs to extend out from the tube to contact the dial teeth. A spring wire that fits the hole is better than a solid part because the wire can be bent for adjustment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DAC21
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-