English Skeleton Clock Kit Info ??

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Richard T., Aug 4, 2005.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Richard T.

Richard T. Deceased
    Deceased

Apr 7, 2005
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Greetings all,

My good friend and mentor at the clock shop bought a kit for an English skeleton clock from an individual. It is: Triple fusee, eight bell.

This kit was in the original box which had "Made in England" stamped on it and a partial mailing label with Ft. Worth, Texas on it (that's all that could be read). Sometime later we found an ad from a 1983 MART offering for sale what looks like the same skeleton clock kit. The business was "Classic Clocks Inc.) I think that's correct but don't have it in front of me . a web search revealed "Classic Clock Kits Ltd, 75 Foxley Lane, Purley, Surrey, UK. I e-mailed them requesting information; was it one of their kits? was there a parts listing/instructions available? etc...No reply as of this date.

Below are pictures of parts of the kit.

QUESTIONS: 1. Did anyone order a similiar kit from Ft. Worth, TX in the early 1980's?
    2. Does anyone have a parts listing and/or assembly instructions fot this kit?
    3. Would like to see a picture of the assembled clock if anyone has it.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

144.gif

145.gif

146.gif

147.gif

Regards,

Richard T.

2. Richard T.

Richard T. Deceased
    Deceased

Apr 7, 2005
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Greetings all,

My good friend and mentor at the clock shop bought a kit for an English skeleton clock from an individual. It is: Triple fusee, eight bell.

This kit was in the original box which had "Made in England" stamped on it and a partial mailing label with Ft. Worth, Texas on it (that's all that could be read). Sometime later we found an ad from a 1983 MART offering for sale what looks like the same skeleton clock kit. The business was "Classic Clocks Inc.) I think that's correct but don't have it in front of me . a web search revealed "Classic Clock Kits Ltd, 75 Foxley Lane, Purley, Surrey, UK. I e-mailed them requesting information; was it one of their kits? was there a parts listing/instructions available? etc...No reply as of this date.

Below are pictures of parts of the kit.

QUESTIONS: 1. Did anyone order a similiar kit from Ft. Worth, TX in the early 1980's?
    2. Does anyone have a parts listing and/or assembly instructions fot this kit?
    3. Would like to see a picture of the assembled clock if anyone has it.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

144.gif

145.gif

146.gif

147.gif

Regards,

Richard T.

3. RL

RL Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 28, 2004
    Country Flag:
    Richard,
    Don't know if he can help but Mike Phelan will probably be along soon. Being a true Brit and a clocksmith and tinkerer--he just might know something to help you here.
    By the way--that is a cool looking kit. Do you think the empty spaces mean missing parts??

4. Richard T.

Richard T. Deceased
    Deceased

Apr 7, 2005
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Randy,

I'm waiting for Mike to come along and if he doesn't I'll send him a PM and ask him to check this post.
    The empty spaces do not have any indication of having had anything in them...but again who knows, of course that's why we're looking for a parts listing..

Regards,

Richard T.

5. Richard T.

Richard T. Deceased
    Deceased

Apr 7, 2005
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Greetings CJ :)

Thanks for the input. I have both Royer-Collard's book and Roberts as well. What I am really looking for is a parts listing and/or instructions for this particular kit. We could probably put it together but it would be nice to know what's missing (if anything) before we started. I hope to hear from our friends across the water on this one.....

Regards,

Richard T.

6. Rich;

I seem to remember these kits. They came two ways a three train kit that was compleat. Then there was a two train kit that just gave you the front and back plates, dial, hammer and bell. You were to find a fusee movement out of a gallery clock to get the rest of the parts.

7. Richard T.

Richard T. Deceased
    Deceased

Apr 7, 2005
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Chris,

Thanks for the input....

Richard T.

8. hello richard i have seen this firm at the clock shows and on the net with skeleton clock kits
    but nothing as adventurous as this one
    it looks nice but as already commented the empty spaces?....what i have seen on their stand is a small kit about 8 inches tall ..i will check on lineto see if i can get any other info regards ray

9. hello again richard i have been to their site and thelargest theydo is atwin 15 inches high and costing 750gbp it is very poor quality against your one regards ray

10. Mike Phelan

Mike Phelan Registered User

Dec 17, 2003
    Retired
    West Yorkshire, England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here I am!
    I remember Classic Clocks; they were the company in the UK who marketed these.

Yhey made various clock designs -Congreve & others - and they were available in various options - needing machining, assembly only, or finished and complete.
    I remember them going into liquidation on the 1970s.

It should not be too difficult to see if any major components are missing, as it looks like a fairly regular English 3-train.
    It will be a really nice clock!
    HTH

11. Richard T.

Richard T. Deceased
    Deceased

Apr 7, 2005
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Greetings ray and mike,

Glad that you both checked in...Thanks for your input on this. Still hoping for additional replies before we decide what we are going to do on this one...

Regards,

Richard T.

12. hello i suppose the company on line and at the shows trading as classic clocks is a rehash of the original...judging by what mike says they are only small against the original regards ray

13. Richard T.

Richard T. Deceased
    Deceased

Apr 7, 2005
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Greetings All,

Just a little up-date on this clock kit. I had e-mailed the current "Classic Clocks Ltd" and asked if this could be one of their kits and for any other information they could provide...
    The following reply was received this AM
    Quote: It is certainly a kit made by the former owner of this business whose son opened a USA branch. The kit was discontinued some 20 years ago so any missing parts would have to be custom made. The kit was notoriously difficult to make up and invariably required modifications to make it work. I knew of someone in the UK to whom I referred frustrated owners but I would have to research him when I return from holiday at the end of this month. I could also look thru the archives we took over to see if there are any parts lists, instructions etc. I'll come back to you later.
    End Quote....

That is some progress and I await further information from Mr. Foxton.

Regards,

Richard T.

14. Richard T.

Richard T. Deceased
    Deceased

Apr 7, 2005
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Good Evening All,

Further up-date. An additional e-mail from Mr. Foxton gave me the name of a gentleman at the current "Classic Clocks Ltd." that might be able to help me. I telephoned him (England) yesterday AM and he was very helpful. He agreed to check the archives of the former company and mail me photo copies of any parts listing, assembly instructions that he might find. He seemed to think that they were in the files. Also indicated that there might be limited parts available in case any were determined to be missing.

Many thanks to Mr. Foxton and Mr. Meaton, Classic Clocks Ltd.

Regards,

Richard T.

15. Richard T.

Richard T. Deceased
    Deceased

Apr 7, 2005
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Greetings all,

Update....Mr. Meaton, Classic Clocks Ltd. checked the company archives and mailed me a parts listing for this clock kit. As has been mentioned before they stopped selling this kit over 20 years ago.

We can now determine if the kit is complete and hopefully start assembly at some point in time.
    As I said initially this kit belongs to my good friend and mentor who has decided to retire for the second time. I think he can devote some of his time to assembly of this kit.

Thank you very much for your interest in this "thread" and for all the replies.

I will post additional information when it is available.

Thanks again to Mr. Meaton for his willingness to locate and send us the parts listing.

Regards to all,

Richard T.

16. Joe Jones

Joe Jones Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Hello Richard.

Today might just be your lucky day. I purchased the Classic Clock kit for the three-train fusee bracket movement (solid plates that needed polishing from the rough state) in the late 70's. It was $835. Other models varied in price, with the skeleton model being the most expensive. Your's is the same company, I'm sure; I recognize the packaging and the parts as shown. I assembled it and found that it always needed one sort of adjustment or another; constant fiddling to correct the chime, stop the striking after 73 o'clock, things like that. It is also an erratic timekeeper and the chime train doesn't seem to have enough power.

I remember seeing a completed skeleton model at the Philadelphia National Convention in 2000. The owner said that it ran well and I suspect tht he made a few modifications for it to do so.

Good news is, I still have the instruction booklet, parts list, and other information that came with the kit. It totals over 30 pages and covers both the bracket and skeleton models. If you like, I can photocopy them and snail mail them to you. It will just take a couple of weeks to get access to the copy machine where I work for the amount of time that it will take.

You requested a picture of the complete movement, I do not have one available as it is the bracket model, but the completed case that I built for it is pictured in the February Bulletin of 1996, page 84.

Joe Jones,
    New Jersey

17. Richard T.

Richard T. Deceased
    Deceased

Apr 7, 2005
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #17 Richard T., Aug 27, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2017
    Greetings Joe,

Thanks for your post and the information. I have sent you a private message about this.

Dave,

Thanks, I appreciate your reply as well. We have thought of doing just that.

Regards,

Richard T.

18. Richard T.

Richard T. Deceased
    Deceased

Apr 7, 2005
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #18 Richard T., Sep 13, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2017
    Hello all,

Just wanted to send a public THANKS to Joe Jones for taking the time to copy and send the instructions for assembly of the skeleton clock kit. I really appreciate you taking the time to do this.

Regards,

Richard T.

19. Norman

Norman New Member

Jan 6, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have the TRIPLE FUSEE skeleton kit, does anybody need any more information on that model?
    Norm

20. Robert Poolman

Robert Poolman Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 10, 2010
    I was wondering if you still had the booklet and if so, could you post a copy or email it to me please. I need the instructions for the skeleton triple fusee clock.
    Rob

21. Robert Poolman

Robert Poolman Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Yes Norm, I have the same clock and I require the instructions for that clock please.
    Rob