American English or German Movement?

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by TheTickTockDoc, Aug 15, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. TheTickTockDoc

TheTickTockDoc Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 9, 2009
    New Port Richey, Florida USA
    Country Flag:
    Hello Friends:

I don't often get one of these in the shop. After some cleaning, lubrication and adjustments...it's running fine. I would like to give the owner any information about this movement or clock. It is a tall case clock (sorry don't have a picture of the case). How old is this movement...and any information would be helpful? Thanks in advance for your expertise and kind help. Rich

IMG_9016.JPG IMG_9017.JPG IMG_9018.JPG IMG_9019.JPG IMG_9020.JPG IMG_9021 (2).JPG IMG_9022 (2).JPG

2. Kim St.Dennis Sr.

Kim St.Dennis Sr. Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Mar 20, 2003
    Male
    Clock Restorer
    Los Angeles
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    What you got there is a very nice German Blackforest shield clock, circa 19th Century. Dial is very nice and in great shape for it's age.
    But I would get rid of that steel cable, I have had very bad luck with that style of cable breaking and damaging the movement in the past and now always replace it with 70 to 135 pound test line, black or white.

3. TheTickTockDoc

NAWCC Member

Oct 9, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Thanks! The weights are huge as one would expect. The cable is in good shape although I agree with your recommendation. I will see if the owner wants to replace them.

IMG_9023.JPG

4. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Yes, a nice German Schilduhr, as previous poster says. I think your clock is about 1860, but the style didn't alter for quite a number of years, so some years either side. You see from the dial that it is also a calendar clock.

It looks in very nice condition.

JTD

5. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I am not aware of any English domestic clocks with wooden movements. A number of Turret clocks had wooden frames, and wooden gears were used extensively in wind and water mills.

6. senhalls

senhalls Registered User

Apr 4, 2006
    retired
    western PA.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The steel cables are acceptable IF they have been inspected for broken strands. Rub them with a cloth to check for broken strands. Several strands broken is still acceptable. Ensure the ends are well secured. Jet aircraft fly over the land full of steel cables of every size and purpose. Lovely clock !

7. TheTickTockDoc

NAWCC Member

Oct 9, 2009
    Country Flag:
    There is no calendar hand although everything is there for it. Should it have been a short 3" from center to day numbers? I will try and Google some photos.....

8. Dittrich

Dittrich Registered User

May 28, 2010
    Ruhrgebiet /Germany
    Concerning the signature on the back of the "Lackschild", take a glance into
    Berthold Schaaf 's Book "Schwarzalduhren". On page 373 you will find more
    information about the "Schildermaler" Joseph Hindelang (Furtwangen).

Dittrich

9. TheTickTockDoc

NAWCC Member

Oct 9, 2009
    Country Flag:
    So, you can read that? Is it Joseph Hindelang?.......very cool.

10. TheTickTockDoc

NAWCC Member

Oct 9, 2009
    Country Flag:
    I thought that I would post a few pics of the movement in the case..now that I have it up and running. I think that the case is VERY nice. I found the calendar hand as well. The glass is cracked. It looks original to me. I'd like to replace it if the customer will agree, but it is all puttied in and a lot of the veneer on the dial door is chipped off and missing. I think that replacing the glass will be very time consuming.

IMG_9025.JPG IMG_9026.JPG IMG_9027.JPG IMG_9028.JPG IMG_9029.JPG

11. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I like it! Those "Lackschilds" with columns at the sides are especially nice!

Uhralt