English Hood clocks or hooded clocks????

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by P.Hageman, Jan 21, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. For the new NAWCC home page
    Click this image at the upper left corner of this page.
  1. P.Hageman

P.Hageman Registered User

Jul 20, 2014
    Forensic science
    The Netherlands
    Country Flag:
    I wonder if anyone on this forum is a collector of English hood clocks (hooded clocks). I am very interested in this type of clock but its very hard to find any information on the worldwide web. Mr. Brian Loomes did write about this type of clocks briefly on his website, but no other then that. I am very much interested in pictures of this kind of clock.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Chris Radano

Chris Radano Registered User

Feb 18, 2004
    Male
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have 2 English hooded clocks. I became interested by their appearance, and photos that can be found in Brian Loomes' various books.

English hooded clocks are not common. They were often primitive in nature, for use in smaller interior spaces by people of modest means. Other hooded clocks were fine, more expensive clocks. English hooded clocks had either posted frame movements, or plated movements. Usually the dial is 6 inches, but there are examples of 8 or even 10 inch dials. There are many longcase movements that have been converted into wall hanging clocks, but they were not originally intended to be hooded clocks.

Not too many hooded clocks have survived. Beginning in the 19th c., they were being replaced en masse by cheaper, numerous Black Forest wood plate wall clocks (postman's clocks). Today, when found, they are frequently missing pieces, or cases.

3. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The only source of info I'm familar on them comes from those illustrated in Early English Clocks dating to the late 1600s by Ahasuerus Fromanteel, Edward East, Joseph Knibb and Christopher Gould who seems to have been the most proflic maker of them. Obviously clocks by such makers are museum quality. They include 8 day wound through the dial striking the hour and 30 hour with Huygens endless loop system, examples of the latter are 30 hour single and two handed, a cased lantern clock timepiece with alarm and one with ting tang repeating striking. The only dial sizes mentioned are 4.5" and 5.5".

4. Ralph

Ralph Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 22, 2002
    Country Flag:
    Here are a couple that I think both started out life as hooded clocks. The John Ward clock might have a part of the original hood and was adapted to a later purpose made longcase style base.

The other clock is by William Wright and has it's original crownwheel/verge.

I don't have the measurements handy, but both have small dials... less than 8".

The Wright clock is actually a two handed clock, that someone removed the minute hand.

Both clocks are timepiece/alarm movements.

1.jpg 2.jpg 4.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg WWright0001.jpg WWright0002.jpg WWright0003.jpg WWright0004.jpg

Ralph

5. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That's a fascinating movement on the second one.

6. Ralph

Ralph Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 22, 2002
    Country Flag:
    #6 Ralph, Jan 21, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
    In the post earlier

Both are London made, time pieces with alarm. The Wright clock has a 7.5" square dial. The Ward clock has a 5" x 7" arch dial.

Ralph

7. P.Hageman

Jul 20, 2014
    Forensic science
    The Netherlands
    Country Flag:
    Thank you so much for this information and those nice pictures of awesome clocks!! What a very nice verge movement that is. So they seem to be very scarce in numbers then, will try to find the Brian Loomes articles.
    Many thanks!!

8. Chris Radano

Chris Radano Registered User

Feb 18, 2004
    Male
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Brian Loomes' "British Clocks Illustrated", 1992, has some good photos of Lantern Clocks, early provincial longcase clocks, and some interesting hooded clocks.

Although the photos are dark, here is one of my hooded clocks, c. 1780. The oak case appears to be original. The movement is a plated time, and alarm, with anchor escapement. the dial is 6", and unsigned. I sent photos of this clock to Brian Loomes, in which he responded the clock was "interesting"... but he had looked at too many other lantern clock photos submitted for a book he was about to have published.

Attached Files:

9. P.Hageman

Jul 20, 2014
    Forensic science
    The Netherlands
    Country Flag:
    Thank you Chris, what a nice little hooded clock, love the top crest. Seems not many collectors are looking for type of clock, which I find a bit odd, I think these clocks are very interesting. Pity Brian Loomes would not take it in his book.

10. Ralph

Ralph Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 22, 2002
    Country Flag:
    Here's an image of a hood I hoped to replicate for my Wright movement....but time is marching on and the projects seem to be piling up.

hood.jpg

Ralph

11. Jeremy Woodoff

Jeremy Woodoff Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 30, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I love your hood clock, Chris. It has a wonderful patina! Here is one of my favorites of this type, a Fromanteel from the Metropolitan Museum of Art. It is a bit easier to find Dutch hood clocks. The middle picture is a staart-schippertje--a miniature Dutch staartklok.

Attached Files:

12. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Dean has a plated alarm like Ralph's William Wright but missing the alarm. Pics of that might be useful to him.

I have three hooded clocks, but one was a longcase I think, the other two are both alarms. (I also have an alarm longcase posted frame with round posts). Hooded cloacks are a style of I really like, would be on the lookout for more.