English Government Fusee Clock Missing Parts

LCampbell

Jul 16, 2020
Country
Well, I finally worked through enough back projects, the holidays, etc, to get to these two that I found at an estate sale last July for not-very-much money:

BritFuseesFront.jpeg

The one on the left is Ingram Brothers, and from the reign of George V, the one on the left is Elliott, stamped 1941 on the plates from the reign of George VI. Both are missing the pendulums and bobs, as well as the lock plate / key for the bottom door. That's obviously not as critical as the pendulum assemblies.

If anyone has either of these, can you provide the length of the pendulum, the appropriate suspension spring and info about what sort of bobs these clocks came with? I realize I might have to make these (I'm more about functionality than originality, they're just nice pieces of work).

Thanks.

Les Campbell

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Can we see the back of the movements?

LCampbell

Jul 16, 2020
Country
Here's one from the thread where I got them:

Both movements (plates) are 6 1/16" top to bottom. Left one is Ingram Bros, right is Elliott. In both cases, the pins sticking out from the suspension spring slide into the top of that upper block into a tiny "v" shaped notch. Measuring from the notch to the "L" that goes into a slot on the pendulum, it's 2 5/8" for the Ingram and 3" for the Elliott.

BritFuseesBack.jpeg

Last edited:

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
You can buy dial clock pendulums new though they are not cheap. I have a lot of dial clocks but none as late as these. I think later pendulums are lighter from what I have seen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moneyrama
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff