• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

English Fusee Drop Dial Revisited.

bwclock

Feb 17, 2015
Country
This time-and-strike drop dial clock was previous posted on April 11, 2022 as English Fusee Drop Dial, Time & Strike, Unsigned, wherein the generalities of the acquisition, case and movement were discussed. I finally got around to overhauling the movement, hence this posting. The first photo is was previously posted and is included here for reference as I do not know how to imbed a live link of the previous posting.

The movement is well-constructed and well-finished. Perhaps its only noteworthy feature is that it has suffered very little from the ravages of preivous repairmen. There are a few minor punch marks, but nothing like the large gouges we frequently find on clocks of this age. Three pivot holes were previously re-bushed, probably some time ago as all three were quite worn. Of interest were ten distinct repair signatures, mostly dated, on the insides of the front and back plates as well as on the outside of the back plate. The oldest was was 1879 and the most recent was dated 1920. The pivots were in good condition(not rutted) with the exception of the center wheel back pivot, which had been modified.

It was a thrill to find a movement in un-butchered condition. The pendulum stick however had been inelegantly modified as discussed previously and as shown in two repeat photos. I was unable to find brass to make another stick nor find a used pendulum of suitable size(some 14 inches long) on eBay so I merely lengthened the existing sandwich joint(and pinned it) so that the clock now keeps time. Ugly but functional. Perhaps something will show up by way of a replacement.

The clock ran for 7 days fourteen hours on the test stand after being fully wound. Once cased and fully wound it ran again for 7 days fourteen hours.
BB

Drop dial copy 2.jpg Front Pl. dirty.jpg Frpl.inside.jpg repair mk. inside bkpl.jpg repair mks inside frpl.jpg Pivot, worn.jpg barrel caps.jpg Rack close-up.jpg repair m, inside bkpl another.jpg wheels in parts tray.jpg pendulum copy.jpg pendulum detail copy.jpg on test stand, after.jpg

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
This time-and-strike drop dial clock was previous posted on April 11, 2022 as English Fusee Drop Dial, Time & Strike, Unsigned, wherein the generalities of the acquisition, case and movement were discussed. I finally got around to overhauling the movement, hence this posting. The first photo is was previously posted and is included here for reference as I do not know how to imbed a live link of the previous posting.

The movement is well-constructed and well-finished. Perhaps its only noteworthy feature is that it has suffered very little from the ravages of preivous repairmen. There are a few minor punch marks, but nothing like the large gouges we frequently find on clocks of this age. Three pivot holes were previously re-bushed, probably some time ago as all three were quite worn. Of interest were ten distinct repair signatures, mostly dated, on the insides of the front and back plates as well as on the outside of the back plate. The oldest was was 1879 and the most recent was dated 1920. The pivots were in good condition(not rutted) with the exception of the center wheel back pivot, which had been modified.

It was a thrill to find a movement in un-butchered condition. The pendulum stick however had been inelegantly modified as discussed previously and as shown in two repeat photos. I was unable to find brass to make another stick nor find a used pendulum of suitable size(some 14 inches long) on eBay so I merely lengthened the existing sandwich joint(and pinned it) so that the clock now keeps time. Ugly but functional. Perhaps something will show up by way of a replacement.

The clock ran for 7 days fourteen hours on the test stand after being fully wound. Once cased and fully wound it ran again for 7 days fourteen hours.
BB

View attachment 739629 View attachment 739630 View attachment 739631 View attachment 739632 View attachment 739633 View attachment 739634 View attachment 739635 View attachment 739636 View attachment 739637 View attachment 739639 View attachment 739640 View attachment 739641 View attachment 739642
A most handsome clock!

With the ears incorporating carvings of what appear to be thistles, of Scottish origin??

RM

bwclock

Feb 17, 2015
Country
With the ears incorporating carvings of what appear to be thistles, of Scottish origin??

I thought the clock might be, due to the thistles. They are well-carved, which I found to be part of the charm of the charm of the clock. I have no clue if thistle designs were also a common motif in England. Some of the early 17th. century London lantern clocks have thistles incorporated in their engraving. Maybe the clock was intended for the Scottish market.
Bruce

Uhralt

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2008
Country
Region
Very nice clock! I'm surprised that you couldn't find suitable brass to make a new pendulum stick. did you check places like ACE Hardware, Home Depot, Lowes or a local privately owned hardware store? I often found there what I needed for projects like this. It really is an eye sore the way it looks right now. Luckily it is normally not visible. Hopefully somebody here can point you to a source of suitable brass material.

Uhralt

bruce linde

NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
all you have to do to link to a previous thread is copy the url from the location bar i n your browser and then paste it into a post here... i.e.,

Reactions: bwclock

Chris Radano

Feb 18, 2004
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
Double fusee drop dials seem to have better quality movements than contemporary table clocks. I'm talking about 2nd to 3rd quarter 19th century. Yours is a good 5 pillar instead of a 4 pillar more commonly found. I have an early Victorian double fusee 12 in. dial with a shorter drop. Mine is a five pillar with very thick plates, great quality. The movement seems heavier than the case, which is a pine carcass covered with rosewood veneer. I weighed the case and the movement and they are not far apart. Because of the cases, double fusee drop dials can be a good buy. The larger size (not enough room) or the much imitated "schoolhouse clock" appearance are probably reasons for generally lower prices. You can get a lot of clock for your money.

Chris Radano

Feb 18, 2004
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
Here is the original pendulum of above mentioned clock. I post here to illustrate the use of brass rod incorporated in the construction. Yours is broken at the crutch. You may consider attaining a replacement fusee pendulum to cannibalize for your repair..

DSCN8151.JPG DSCN8152.JPG DSCN8153.JPG

Reactions: Bernhard J.

jmclaugh

Jun 1, 2006
Devon
Country
Region
May well be Scottish though the thistle is also the emblem of the Encyclopaedia Britannia so in the UK it isn't just confined to Scotland.

Reactions: bwclock

bwclock

Feb 17, 2015
Country
May well be Scottish though the thistle is also the emblem of the Encyclopaedia Britannia so in the UK it isn't just confined to Scotland.
Thanks for the trip down memory lane, regarding Encyclopaedia Brittanica, that is. I tossed our set in 2012 under the suspicion it might be slightly out of date as the last update book in it was dated 1960. I had forgotten about their logo, shown below for those who might be curious.

Britannica logo.png

P.Hageman

Jul 20, 2014
The Netherlands
Country
Those are always nice clock, imho and mostly off good quality case and movement! Thanks for sharing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lpgp
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Swiss Fake by Kent