• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

English Dial Clock Fusee chain question

Aledger

Nov 24, 2022
Country
Hi all

I’m new to clock repair. I have 2 question’s on English dial fusee chains/replacement.

1.If replacing a broken chain does it matter if the width of the new chain is less than the old one? Obviously it can’t be more as won’t sit in the fusee thread.
2. Maybe this is more personal opinion but if replacement is a not chain which is best? Natural gut line, steel wire or bronze wire? I know early clocks used gut and for purists may say better but not necessarily best for durability?

thanks in advance

Andrew

Dells

NAWCC Member
Oct 18, 2019
In the cotswolds UK
Country
Region
Steel or bronze will cut into the fusee and barrel causing damage and unsightly marks.

gmorse

NAWCC Member
Jan 7, 2011
Breamore, Hampshire, UK
Country
Region
Hi Andrew,
If replacing a broken chain does it matter if the width of the new chain is less than the old one? Obviously it can’t be more as won’t sit in the fusee thread.
It can be a little narrower, but not too much or else there's a risk of it 'falling over' on its side where it's unsupported on the barrel. You can tell if a fusee has been cut for a chain because the bottom of the groove is flat; a gut line fusee groove is rounded, and of course the attachment points at both end will be quite different. I agree with Dell about metal wires being inappropriate, certainly on older clocks.

Regards,

Graham

Aledger

Nov 24, 2022
Country
Thank you both. And interesting on views on the gut. Makes sense. This is a like for like replacement I.e. chain for chain so no issue with the groove. The original chain was 1.4mm wide and I’ve seen a replacement at 1.1mm and having never replaced was not sure if it was an issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chiuzo
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Swiss Fake by Kent