• The Bulletins and Marts are again available online. The network connectivity problem has been fixed. Thank you all very much for your patience.

English Dial Clock. Dial Repair and Repaint

Micam100

NAWCC Member
Nov 11, 2019
Country
Region
I previously posted this clock late last year: https://mb.nawcc.org/threads/english-fusee-age-and-bent-brass.163999/

The dial had a bad sharpie touch up and the signature had been removed along with the layer of paint underneath (and any chance of discovering the maker). Two dial feet had been broken and poorly repaired, and the other two were weakened.

This clock probably dates from around mid-nineteenth century, but I don't believe it is historically significant. I decided to repair and repaint the dial.

Some before, during and after photos attached.

I used the smallest Micron pen (water based) for the minute circles and the smallest sharpie I could find for the number outlines. For the number fill, I used a water-based 3mm calligraphy pen which gave a lovely (to my eye) satiny finish rather than a hard black. I'm pretty sure the water-based inks will need a sealer, but I'll leave it cure for a few months and test.

There are a few small errors and blemishes, but I probably won't try to correct them. I was very nervous about attempting this but I'm happy with the result.

Michael

1.jpg 2.JPG 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg 10.jpg 11.jpg

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
Looks good, I send my dials away for repaint if required so have no experience of self refinishing. If there ever was a signature it was unlikely to be the maker as from the beginning of dial clocks they were virtually all bought in from somewhere else.

Micam100

NAWCC Member
Nov 11, 2019
Country
Region
Looks good, I send my dials away for repaint if required so have no experience of self refinishing. If there ever was a signature it was unlikely to be the maker as from the beginning of dial clocks they were virtually all bought in from somewhere else.
Thanks Nick. Yes, I guess more likely a retailer's signature but disappointing to see the removal of any link (however tenuous) back to the origins of the movement, case and dial makers.

Michael

Vernon

NAWCC Member
Dec 9, 2006
Country
Region
It looks fantastic! What is the base white and how was it applied? Thanks

Vernon

Micam100

NAWCC Member
Nov 11, 2019
Country
Region
It looks fantastic! What is the base white and how was it applied? Thanks

Vernon
Thanks Vernon. I made a couple of dummy dials and tried a couple of colours and went with this one: Rattle can as pictured – colour "Surfmist". You won't have this brand in your part of the world. Iron dial, taken back to bare metal, five coats of red oxide primer, sanded between coats to give a smooth finish and to cover some gouges in the metal and some evidence of my riveting the dial feet. Several finish coats. Where do those insects come from when you start painting?

Michael

12.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidEckman
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-