english 8 day rack striking problem

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by clocks55, Jun 16, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. clocks55

clocks55 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 1, 2008
    clock repair and antique clock sales
    8 Hillcrest Lane Saratoga Springs NY 12866
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    At various hours, the clock, which is about 200 years old, will strike all but one, such as 4 at 5, leaving the hammer on the rise, and the warning pin back at the 12 oclock position where it is when it finishes striking and the gathering pallet resting on the pawl pin as it should be when it is finished striking. It does this infrequently and at random hours. I have rebuilt the clock and have checked everything I can think of, all parts appear to be original to the clock. This is a customer job and I have several like it in the past, but this has me stuck. 307746.jpg

2. R. Croswell

R. Croswell Registered User

Apr 4, 2006
    Male
    Trappe, Md.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You might try turning the gathering pallet a quarter turn to allow the strike time to complete.

RC

3. clocks55

clocks55 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 1, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you for your suggestion. I will try this. Kindest regards, Peter

4. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Stop the train as the last hammer falls, hold it there and put your GP in the stop position at that point.

5. clocks55

clocks55 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 1, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Dear Shutterbug, Thank you for the gp suggestion, this makes sense, at present the movement has stopped this odd behavior without my making any changes, further report will follow, Peter Elmendorf

6. R. Croswell

R. Croswell Registered User

Apr 4, 2006
    Male
    Trappe, Md.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    In post #1 you stated "It does this infrequently and at random hours." This suggests that the cause of the problem is something that's on the critical edge of being or not being an issue. If nothing was done to eliminate the problem I would expect it to return again even if 'infrequently and at random hours'. I expect you will find that the gathering pallet is coming to rest at almost the same instant the hammer drops. A little wear and looseness here and there could account for the intermittent nature of the problem. I suggest you do as Shutterbug suggested - stop the train the moment the hammer falls - then see where the gathering pallet is in relation to the rest stop. It should be approaching and close to the rest stop but not in contact with the stop. There must be a moment after the hammer falls before the GP stops the train.

RC

7. clocks55

clocks55 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 1, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you so much for the additional analysis, I believe between the 2 of you , you are focusing in on the solution.

8. clocks55

clocks55 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 1, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    rotating the gp 90 degrees has solved the problem, giving it a little more time to finish striking, thanks for all the help!