English 30 Hr Bird Cage Movement What is this stand for?

will harbison

NAWCC Member
Jan 8, 2008
This is an English 30 hr, single hand, countwheel strike movement. Brass dial signed D:EVE EXON. The bell stand is missing but was fastened to the top plate in the right rear.

What is this stand for? It is original to the movement. Some way of silencing the bell hammer from striking the bell?? I have never seen anything like this on any 30hr movement I have seen in pictures.

30 hr BC Movement.png

Reactions: Philip Snowden

Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
West Yorkshire, England
Country
Region
As Jevan says. Occasionally these clocks had no hammer stop but relied the shape of the hammer to butt against its spring.

Just for interest, why would you want to silence it after going to the trouble of overhauling it? :???:

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
As Jevan says. Occasionally these clocks had no hammer stop but relied the shape of the hammer to butt against its spring.

Just for interest, why would you want to silence it after going to the trouble of overhauling it? :???:
The best way to silence a countwheel strike clock is to fix a wooden clothes peg to the fly.No damage to clock, easily removed. It is also the traditional method.

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
The best way to silence a countwheel strike clock is to fix a wooden clothes peg to the fly.No damage to clock, easily removed. It is also the traditional method.
I don't think the OP wants to silence the bell. In his first post he wrote:

What is this stand for? Some way of silencing the bell hammer from striking the bell??
I read that as him suggesting, in answer to his own question, that the 'stand' could have been some way of silencing the bell, not that he was looking for a way of silencing the bell.

But, as ever, I may be missing something.

JTD

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Bernhard J.

Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
West Yorkshire, England
Country
Region
Right, gotcha :) I was really wondering why anyone would need to have something in the clock to permanently silence the bell (probably in 1800s / 1900s) they could do it easily putting something on the fly?

wspohn

Feb 3, 2020
www.rhodo.citymax.com
Country
Region
I often silence striking on my 30 hour clocks, either because they are located near the room I sleep in, or just because I prefer to wind them about every 3 days rather than every day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jerm346
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-