english 30 hour longcase continuous chain striking train problens

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by clocks55, Jan 24, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. clocks55

clocks55 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 1, 2008
    clock repair and antique clock sales
    8 Hillcrest Lane Saratoga Springs NY 12866
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This circa 1850 movement has been rebuilt by me. In testing it stops right before the warning as the strike train tends to creep and jams the strike detent against the edge of the slot in the strike wheel. In order to avoid the hammer being on the rise, allow for warning run, and have the clock strike all the hours correctly there seems to be little room for error. Is there a procedure to follow to set up this time train to accomplish all these objectives? I will now attempt to attach picture files, I am better at clock repair!

Attached Files:

2. clocks55

clocks55 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 1, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #2 clocks55, Jan 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
    additional info on my clock: There is a hoop wheel which receives a square shaped lever to stop the strike. The lever I have shown is the detent strike lever. It is on the same arbor as this hoop wheel stop lever mentioned previously. This detent strike lever is the one that gets jammed in the slot of the count wheel. It is radial to the count wheel. The count wheel is driven by a pinion on the strike no. 1 wheel arbor.

3. P.Hageman

P.Hageman Registered User

Jul 20, 2014
    Forensic science
    The Netherlands
    Country Flag:
    I know the problem. What I always do when assembling the strike train is put in the great pinned wheel and the second wheel and the hammerlever and locking lever. I arrange the great wheel in a position when the hammer has just fallen of the pin to struck the hour, hold it in that position and then have te second wheel position arranged so that the locking lever has just falling into the cut out in the hoop. Then keeping them together with a tie rip. Then the third wheel with the locking pin 180 degrees away from the warning stop. After assembling the movement in this way, there's no abstruction problem with the countwheel. (if the countwheel detent has not been bent improperly)
    Good luck.

4. clocks55

clocks55 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 1, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    thank you so much for this very helpful and timely information

5. clocks55

clocks55 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 1, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    After utilizing the suggestion from P. Hageman I found it helpful to ensure that the hoop wheel lever was in the far end of the slot, seen as the hoop wheel rotates toward the lever. As well, on closer inspection I noticed a small arrow between two of the teeth on the count wheel and a slashed leaf on the driving pinion. Once these two marks were aligned, the strike detent lever remained free of the oncoming end of the notches on the strike wheel.