Help English 1920/30 mantle clock strikes hour on both half hour and the hour

Oznimrod

New User
Feb 2, 2020
Country
Recently dismantled a mantle clock that has not run for 50 years. Made a mental note of where the pallet rack lifting pin was before cleaning and reassembling. At the half hour when the pallet driving wheel goes 'on click' the the rack drops onto the snail and proceeds to strike the hour. Any suggestions please? By the way, I was unable to remove the pallet from the arbor, it was fixed very tight, I did not like to use heat. I suspect the position of the pallet driving wheel and its stop pin is the cause.

Oznimrod

New User
Feb 2, 2020
Country
Recently dismantled a mantle clock that has not run for 50 years. Made a mental note of where the pallet rack lifting pin was before cleaning and reassembling. At the half hour when the pallet driving wheel goes 'on click' the the rack drops onto the snail and proceeds to strike the hour. Any suggestions please? By the way, I was unable to remove the pallet from the arbor, it was fixed very tight, I did not like to use heat. I suspect the position of the pallet driving wheel and its stop pin is the cause.
Problem solved. Was just about to split the plates to adjust the gathering pallet wheel when I discovered that the arms of the stop leaver lifting pallet on the minute wheel arbor are different lengths, the half hour arm is shorter than the hour arm so only lifts the leaver enough for one revolution of the rack gathering pallet. A silly oversight, I know, but it's years since I have rebuilt one of these clocks.

Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
West Yorkshire, England
Country
Region
The short arm on the cannon pinion was to lift the rack hook sufficiently to release the gathering pallet and put th train into warning, but not enough to drop the rack.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
richarddhart
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-