Engineer's Watch Receptacle

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by CentreKeystone, Mar 7, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. CentreKeystone

CentreKeystone Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 19, 2014
    Just in case you ever wondered where the engineer of a fast passenger diesel put his Hamilton 992b or Elgin BW Raymond watch, I have attached a picture showing the position of the "engineer's watch receptacle" (22). This is from the EMD Model E7 Passenger Locomotive Operating Manual No. 2300 (no date but about 1950). The maximum permissible speed of the locomotive was 117 mph.

EMD Model E7 Engineers Controls showing watch receptacle-22 (locomotive picture).jpg EMD Model E7 Engineers Controls showing watch receptacle-22.jpg

2. Les harland

Les harland Registered User

Apr 10, 2008
    Male
    Hertfordshire England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Very interesting
    To be honest I had never thought about where the engineer kept his watch until I saw this post
    I think this thread could expand to include other types of diesel, electric and steam locomotives

3. Fritz Katzenjammer

Fritz Katzenjammer Yeah... that Fritz....
    NAWCC Member

Feb 4, 2013
    Manufacturing Engineer
    My garage usually... Burlington, Ont.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Cheap buggers at GM... all that money for a locomotive and the damn clock is still an option!

Cheap shots at GM aside, my Dad ran those engines for years after starting out on steamers, and his watch was always firmly tied to his overalls with a leather strip. He told me once that the biggest hazard for his 992B was using the john. You'd lower your overalls and crouch down onto the overly low john and hear a nice clear "dink" as your watch swung out of the bib of the overalls and bounced off of the bowl. He said he spent a lot on crystals over the years because of that.

Tim Fitzgerald likes this.
  4. Kent

Kent Registered User
    Gibbs Literary Award NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Silver Member

Aug 26, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Ah, but a clock on the locomotive would be useless to the train crew since, by operating department rules, they're only permitted to take their time from a designated standard clock (or their own watches which must have been compared to a standard clock - or to a standard watch that was - at the start of each trip).

The reasons why it would be very difficult for a locomotive clock to be designated to be a standard clock are many and start with required accuracy (needing a dependable power source) and who would be responsible for it (train crews did not get the same locomotive every). Its a lot simpler to give the engineer a place to put his/her watch which was already accepted under time service rules.

LloydB, 179 and Fritz Katzenjammer like this.