• Member Voting Now through June 6. Check Your Email for a Link to the Online Ballot. The Ballot Contains Links to Each Proposed Amendment to Bylaws and Articles of Incorporation.

Enfield Chime Drum Re-assembly

Simon Holt

NAWCC Member
Mar 21, 2017
Shaftesbury, UK
Country
Region
This is from a 1949 Enfield P-K5A-1 Westminster chiming mantel clock:

PXL_20220118_122828973.jpg

Someone before me has had the chime drum assembly apart (see the chewed screw heads).

The problem is that it is no longer in its original configuration, and it does not play the correct sequence of Westminster chimes. There is no sequence where four descending notes occur.

I need to rectify this, but if my calculations are correct there are 24 possible configurations. Is there some cold clear logic that can be applied to get it right first time? Or does someone have drawings or photographs that might help?

Simon

Last edited:

Paul Statham

Oct 22, 2020
Country
Region
Yes if you take the three screws out take off then the plate take the barrel out and have a look on the side of the first wheel nearest to you there should be a number 1 followed buy 2,3,4 line them up ready to strike no need to let the mainspring down.

Reactions: Simon Holt

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I can't imagine a need to take it apart. That's got to be one of the oddest things I've ever seen a clock owner do.
It would make a great problem on a final exam test though :D

Reactions: Simon Holt

Simon Holt

NAWCC Member
Mar 21, 2017
Shaftesbury, UK
Country
Region
All sorted now - thanks all.

The individual 'wheels' were indeed numbered (although on the side nearest the movement). Wheels 1 & 2 had been reversed.

Note for future readers: the 2 screwed-in rods pass through (obviously!) 2 holes in each wheel. But there are 3 holes in each wheel, which tells you how to align the wheels. Furthermore, the stamped number 2 was upside-down when compared with the stamped number 3. The number 1 was sans-serif so I couldn't tell which way up it was. And I forgot to look at the stamped number 4...

Simon

Last edited:

Paul Statham

Oct 22, 2020
Country
Region
I can't imagine a need to take it apart. That's got to be one of the oddest things I've ever seen a clock owner do.
It would make a great problem on a final exam test though :D
HI shutterbug if i got it wrong sorry but that what i was told to do on another forum i am still learning i am interested how you would have done it in case i come across one again

Simon Holt

NAWCC Member
Mar 21, 2017
Shaftesbury, UK
Country
Region
HI shutterbug if i got it wrong sorry but that what i was told to do on another forum i am still learning i am interested how you would have done it in case i come across one again
I think shutterbug was referring to the original person who disassembled it when there was no need to...

Your suggestion to disassemble it was correct and indeed the only solution.

Simon

Reactions: Paul Statham

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JT123
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-