Encyclopedia Articles

Discussion in 'Message Board Help & Notices' started by stewey, Sep 18, 2013.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. stewey

stewey Registered User

Dec 20, 2012
    Oshawa, Ontario.
    Country Flag:
    Hello;
    On many threads I see links to interesting and informative "Encyclopedia Articles"; however, when I click on the "Encyclopedia" heading at the top of the Forum page I cannot access any information. All I get is something that says Special Page with Encyclopedia, Help, Image, Book, Template, and Category on it. How can I actually read articles in the encyclopedia?

2. doug sinclair

doug sinclair Registered User

Aug 27, 2000
    Calgary, Alberta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That's odd! I tried it and it worked fine. So I logged out and tried it again, and it worked fine. I have no clue.

3. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Once you get this far, click on encyclopedia again, then find a category you are interested in. Just keep opening pages til you find what you want.

4. stewey

stewey Registered User

Dec 20, 2012
    Oshawa, Ontario.
    Country Flag:
    Wow; do I feel stupid:) I guess, being old-fashioned, I was expecting a table of contents or an index as in, well, an Encyclopedia! Thanks, Harold.

5. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Imagine you walked into a room with several labeled doors. The doors relate to activities you may want to try. If you click on category, you can browse the information by a hierarchy of categories. If you click on Book, you can select a book with many related articles in it. If you click on Images, you can select from the gallery of images and follow links to articles about them or using them. In the simplest case, you can just open all the articles by clicking on Encyclopedia as suggested.

These structures are not yet fully developed. The Encyclopedia is at least a 10 year project and we are only about 3 years into it at this time.

6. stewey

stewey Registered User

Dec 20, 2012
    Oshawa, Ontario.
    Country Flag:
    Thanks, Tom. It would appear that when I first entered that room, I was a trifle reluctant to pry behind any of the closed doors:)

7. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    One of the difficulties in designing a site like this is that people are reluctant to click on anything they do not understand. As a result they rarely learn about features that were put there to help them.

You have my pledge that it is safe to click on anything on this site with the possible exception of the ads which are clearly marked as advertising and are under the control of the advertisers.

When I visit a new site, I systematically explore all clickable links to see what treasures the site might hold. :)