Enameled American Watch Cases

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by Jerry Treiman, Oct 8, 2010.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Jerry Treiman

Jerry Treiman Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Geologist - California Geological Survey
    Los Angeles, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I thought I would share a couple photos of my newest acquisition. It is a specially cased Waltham 10-size Colonial-A with a 19-jewel Riverside movement. What is special about this watch is the enamel detailing on the front and back bezels and on the bow (slightly damaged). This watch is from 1922. Most other enameled cases I have seen apply different colors in individually carved areas in the champleve style, but this is one of the few I have seen with painted details.

What has struck me is how uncommon it is to find enamel work of any kind on American pocket watches, and how few case companies did this. Speaking strictly about American-made cases, enameling was a little more common on ladies pendant watches, many with basse taille or guilloche engraved cases (such as by Depollier). However, enamel does not seem to appear on men's watches until the dress watches of the late 'teens and the twenties. The first of these may have been the Illinois extra-thin first model where we see edge enameling on some of the higher grades (grades 438 and 439). I have also seen enamel detailing on some examples of Elgin's Hulburd model, on some Gruens and a few others.

Perhaps the finest enamel details are on cases made by the Cressarrow Watch Case Co. (principally for imported movements such as IWC), Knapp cases (used on many of the thin Illinois models) and cases by H.W. Matalene for Waltham (my example). I have also seen some fine enamel detailing on a few cases from Wadsworth, Keystone and Solidarity.

Does anyone else have an enameled American watch case to share? View attachment 435466 View attachment 435467

2. John Cote

John Cote Director
    Director NAWCC Member

Aug 26, 2000
    Photographer
    Midwest USA
    Country Flag:
    Beautiful case. Thanks for the pix Jerry. I saw a really nice Hammie 922 in a GF enam case on Thursday morning....I was tempted but...

3. artbissell

artbissell Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Dec 4, 2009
    1979 startup ABCO Industrial Sales
    Boulder, CO Foothills
    Region Flag:
    #3 artbissell, Oct 9, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2010
    You recently described my similar Max A for me. Looks like you got a better one. Photo here. I have wondered how the extremely delicate looking finish on gold can be so durable. My wife likes this 0 Maximus that shows some surface metal wear but none to fragile looking painting. 100 years past a mother with 7 year old son got a fine gift. 67514.jpg 73444.jpg 65705.jpg 73446.jpg

4. Jerry Treiman

NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Art - I wouldn't say mine is better. Your Maximus-A has an entirely different style of enameling and beautiful in its own right. The condition is certainly superb. And what about your ladies watch? Who made that case? I assume it is quite a bit earlier than our 1920's dress watches.

5. Ethan Lipsig

Ethan Lipsig Registered User
    NAWCC Gold Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Pasadena
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #5 Ethan Lipsig, Oct 9, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2010
    Here are 8 18k enameled Cress Arrow-cased IWCs and then 5 similarly Cress Arrow-cased C.H. Meylans, 3 in 18k and 2 in platinum. 73447.jpg 73448.jpg 73449.jpg 73450.jpg 73452.jpg 73453.jpg 73454.jpg 73455.jpg 73456.jpg 73457.jpg 73458.jpg 73459.jpg 73460.jpg

6. artbissell

NAWCC Member Sponsor

Dec 4, 2009
    Boulder, CO Foothills
    Region Flag:
    Ethan: Elegance was paramount when these were designed. Recent photos? Dials mostly silver? 70+ age?

7. artbissell

NAWCC Member Sponsor

Dec 4, 2009
    Boulder, CO Foothills
    Region Flag:
    I like Gruens. Most that I have are enamelled in some way.
    -> posts merged by system <-
    Marked with K in a square, not for gold mark that is separate. Keystone?
    About 1900. 73461.jpg 69328.jpg 73463.jpg

8. Ethan Lipsig

NAWCC Gold Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Pasadena
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Art, I took all the photos in the last few years. Few, if any, of the watches in the photos have enamel dials, but I am not sure of the dial composition of the rest. I know you detest silver dials because they tarnish or oxidize. Only a few of the dials in my posting appear to be suffering that way.

9. Jerry Treiman

NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you, Ethan, for showing everyone what I was talking about, with respect to Cresarrow cases. The combination of carving with subtle enamel accents on the Bigelow Kennard & Co. and the Spaulding examples particularly appeal to me.

10. Jerry Treiman

NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here is an example from an Illinois extra-thin model. The casemaker is not marked, but I believe it to be made by William G. Knapp of New York who made many later cases for this model. View attachment 435550 View attachment 435551

11. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Knapp is an interesting association Jerry. Do you have an address for him in New York?

Fred McIntyre was an invisible partner with Knapp for almost 10 years after the failure of the McIntyre Watch Co. Knapp and McIntyre were also partners with DeLong in the DeLong Escapement Co. At the same time DeLong was also designing and patenting the Illini and thin model watches at Illinois, like the one you show above.

12. rschussel

rschussel Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 1, 2002
    #12 rschussel, Oct 10, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2017
    73581.jpg

A Cresarrow case
    73582.jpg

73583.jpg

A thin Model Illinois in a Knapp case and a CH Hulburd
    A Dietrich Gruen and a 17 J Elgin in a presentation case 73584.jpg 73585.jpg

Attached Files:

13. Jerry Treiman

NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Tom, I really know very little about Knapp at the moment. There are a number of the later 1st model extra-thin Illinois in Knapp marked cases. They are simply marked "KNAPP" with a karat mark for the gold. I am guessing that this may be William G. Knapp, although there were other Knapps in the jewelry trades, such as Charles F. Knapp, a manufacturing jeweler on Maiden Lane. I have found W.G. Knapp mentioned in contemporary reports as being in New York, but I do not have an address yet. I need to do some more research in the city directories. I have not yet found anything connecting either Knapp specifically with case making.

I have been collecting photos and data of Knapp-marked and other cases on Illinois watches and am becoming convinced that earlier unmarked cases are also by Knapp. Later heavy gold cases seen on many Illini, although unmarked, are also likely to be his. Lots more research to be done on this, though.

If there is any further discussion of Knapp specifically, perhaps it can be directed to this other research-oriented thread -
    https://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?t=55723 44207.jpg

14. artbissell

NAWCC Member Sponsor

Dec 4, 2009
    Boulder, CO Foothills
    Region Flag:

15. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Art, gold can be work hardened to almost any level. It is certainly usable for spring work when prepared by work hardening. Normally this was drawing, but I think the same effect can be achieved by hammering.

Take one of your 20 lb gold bricks and hammer it down to a 15 mm sheet and I am told it will be very hard and durable.

I don't have any spare gold bricks to try the experiment with. :eek:

16. artbissell

NAWCC Member Sponsor

Dec 4, 2009
    Boulder, CO Foothills
    Region Flag:
    Tom: Interesting about pure gold hardening. No gold bricks for me. Prefer the fine crafted variety in much lesser amounts. The usual soft gold in watch cases has the advantage of easily being polished, so I suppose the hard enamel might survive carefully polishing the gold?

17. Jeff Hess

Jeff Hess Moderator
    Sponsor Gold Business Member

Sep 3, 2000
    Male
    watches
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    American enamels seem to be very unappreciated in the marketplace.

too bad.

Thanks to all for the pics!

Jeff

18. Jerry Treiman

NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The American watch industry could boast many fine case makers. Some of these makers have been known for fine enamel detailing on their better cases, but the enameling is minimal, really just accents. Wadsworth, Keystone, Cressarrow, Solidarity, Knapp and Matalene come to mind. But how many American casemakers produced guilloche enamel decoration? How many American watch companies used these cases? I can only think of two case makers - Depollier and Matalene, and only one watchmaker - Waltham.

Here is a guilloche case by Depollier for a 6/0 Waltham -
    2-Depollier1_b.jpg

Here are a couple of examples by Matalene for 6/0 and 10-ligne Waltham movements -
    2pend.jpg

Longines/Wittnauer sold many lovely guilloche-cased ladies watches in the U.S., but I believe their cases were Swiss. Gruen also made some fine enameled cases, but I do not recall any in guilloche. Can anyone add other examples of enameling on American watch cases? (I know that European examples are abundant and would rather save those for another topic).

19. Barney Green

Barney Green Registered User

Jan 19, 2017
    electronics engineer
    Diesel gate HQ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Gruen had a few in guilloche (ladies wristlets) before 1920 but the cases I have seen were imported from Switzerland.

20. Jerry Treiman

NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks, Barney, for the comments. I was just doing some more web browsing and found reference to some guilloche work from Henry Blank & Co., in Newark, although I have not yet seen any examples from him.

21. artbissell

NAWCC Member Sponsor

Dec 4, 2009
    Boulder, CO Foothills
    Region Flag:
    Here are the only two I have, 10s Matalene and 0s special order. Both Maximus Walthams. artbissell

IMG_8453a.jpg documents 178a.jpg

rascalsally, musicguy and viclip like this.
  22. PatH

PatH National Program Chair
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    New England Watch Co had a line of enameled women's watches, and many had matching enameled brooches. I don't know who made the cases, but it seems even inexpensive watch companies were getting in on the action. At the same time, they had offerings in gun metal and copper.

DSC06482.JPG DSC06483.JPG

musicguy and viclip like this.
  23. artbissell

NAWCC Member Sponsor

Dec 4, 2009
    Boulder, CO Foothills
    Region Flag:
    #23 artbissell, Feb 17, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
    Forgot this odd 0s American Roy cased one. Also with antimagnetic enamaled shield. artbissell

IMG_3896x.jpg IMG_3902x.jpg IMG_3922x.jpg

24. Ethan Lipsig

NAWCC Gold Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Pasadena
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have many watches in solid gold European-made cases with guilloche enameling, such as this 18k Touchon, which even has guilloche enameling on the dial.

IMG_3946.JPG IMG_3948.JPG

I have many watches in solid gold American-made cases with enameled highlights, but only two with guilloche enameling IF they are indeed in American-made cases. Both are in Bigelow Kennard-signed cases, with no other case-maker indications. I would be grateful for any information about who actually made these cases.

One is in an 18k case. It has a C.H,.Meylan movement (Type D1 in my personal classification scheme), private labelled for Bigelow Kennard.

Z Meyaln Green B and K 1.jpg Z Meyaln Green B and K 2.jpg IMG_4653.JPG IMG_4651.JPG

The other is in a 14k case. It has a 6/0 Waltham movement, private labelled for Bigelow Kennard. I understand this movement to be a "Jewel" series movement, and to be on a par with the Maximus or Diamond grade of that series.

Blue.jpg IMG_3831.JPG IMG_3802.JPG IMG_3805.JPG

musicguy and viclip like this.
  25. musicguy

musicguy Moderator
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    All the watches above are fantastic!

I've always liked these type cases.

Rob

26. Jerry Freedman

Jerry Freedman Registered User
    NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Member

Sep 16, 2000
    This is an 18K hunting case by Dueber. It houses a 6/0 model 90 16J Lady Waltham.

DSCN0946.JPG DSCN0947.JPG DSCN0948.JPG

viclip and musicguy like this.
  27. Kent

Kent Registered User
    Gibbs Literary Award NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Silver Member

Aug 26, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Jerry:

Great thread! Thanks for starting it.

I'd consider the enamel offered on Santa Fe Watch Co. cases (supplied to Santa Fe by the Illinois Watch Case Co.) to be a bit more than detailing. These were gold-filled, 25-year cases. Its not clear if the work was done at Santa Fe or at Illinois (the case company - not the watch company that supplied Santa Fe's movements); or even if it was contracted out to a third party.

The Burlington Watch Co. offered similar cases.

As PatH mentioned above, The New England Watch Co. offered a line of enameled watches. I expect that these were of much lower quality than examples given elsewhere in this thread.

1920+_Cat_Pg_19_Lodge_Emblem_Cases.JPG 1915_Dec_Burlington_Color_Case_Ad.jpg 1903_OY_Co_Catalog_Pg_68_New_England_Enameled_Watches.jpg 1903_OY_Co_Catalog_Pg_69_New_England_Enameled_Watches.jpg

28. Jerry Treiman

NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Art - thanks for your photos. Who made the case with the young child’s face?

Pat - of course I should have recalled the New England watches. These are very attractive watches and I find it surprising that, if they could offer these to the public at competitive prices, we do not see more enameled cases from the other companies.

Ethan - your small cases for Bigelow, Kennard & Co. tell be there must have been another company or two making cases like this. The numbers and case markings do not look familiar to me, although I might suspect Jeannot & Schiebler for the green one. J&S made many of the cases used by BK&Co.

Thanks, Kent, for those catalog pages.

PatH likes this.
  29. artbissell

NAWCC Member Sponsor

Dec 4, 2009
    Boulder, CO Foothills
    Region Flag:
    Jerry; a plain American 14k case with serial number and assay marking perhaps from Waltham. artb

IMG_8455a.jpg

30. Jerry Treiman

NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Art - I think I can discern the mark for Keller & Untermeyer in the cover of your case. They made very fine cases.

31. artbissell

NAWCC Member Sponsor

Dec 4, 2009
    Boulder, CO Foothills
    Region Flag:
    Amazing observation. artb

32. Jerry Treiman

NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I just acquired this really spectacular example. I believe this was made by the Dubois Watch Case Co. for Waltham.
    14184460_bobl.jpg

Mine is a tiny 10-ligne watch but Waltham featured similar casing for their 6/0 movements in a 1911 brochure -
    JScases_1911.jpg

33. Kent

Kent Registered User
    Gibbs Literary Award NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Silver Member

Aug 26, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Since writing the above, I've gone through the 1920+ Santa Fe catalog in detail and came across the caption in the centerfold (no, not that kind of centerfold, the one posted below). It states in part:

'The lower panel shows the Illinois Watch Case Factory, where our beautiful cases for the "Santa Fe Special" are designed and produced. Special new equipment was added to this factory at great expense, in order to create and finish the three-color inlay enamel monogram cases of the "Santa Fe Special." '

So, I stand corrected; the enamel work on Santa Fe cases was done at the Illinois Watch Case Company.

1920+_Cat_Pg_16-17_Enormous_Modern_Factories.JPG

34. Clint Geller

Clint Geller Registered User
    Gibbs Literary Award NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Jul 12, 2002
    Male
    I am a research physicist at a government lab
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Over the years, I believe I have seen three different G Size Howard watches, each one presented by Edward Howard to a different one of his three wives, and as I recall, all three were enameled. If one could get all three of them in one place, what an amusing, if somewhat pathetic collection that would make!

35. yellow_sub

yellow_sub Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 1, 2019
    Male
    Mechanic
    NorCal
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I posted this in another thread a few days ago but it fits this one as well. This is a Waltham grade L 11j size 6.

5107296.jpg

viclip and Bryan Eyring like this.
  36. Jerry Treiman

NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here is another enameled American watch that I just acquired. It has a Waltham Colonial-A movement and the case was made by H.W. Matalene, ca.1923 (Newark, NJ). I believe the figure on the back is Diana the Huntress, from Roman mythology. I have reason to believe that the enameling may have been done by Charles Perrochet, a Swiss-born enamelist in New York who made at least one signed example for Matalene around the same time period. [The bow on this watch is not original and I have inserted a photo-restoration based on other known examples].
    7805_photo_restored.jpg

While searching for this thread so that I could make a new post, I discovered that I had started an identically-titled thread in 2010.
    Enameled American Watch Cases
    I suspect that Perrochet may have also done the enameling on the watch in my initial post in 2010.
    Perhaps a moderator can merge the two threads?

37. musicguy

musicguy Moderator
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    Done

Rob