EN Welch question

Copperdragon3

Aug 20, 2020
Country
I have an opportunity to purchase an EN Welch walnut mantle clock at a fair price, but it's missing five of the seven wood rosette flowers. It's the "Hatten" model like the picture I've included. Does anyone know if someone makes these type of wood adornments? I think it would look so much better if all seven were on the clock, but with only two I may just pass. Any suggestions? jan2019-69.jpg

Salsagev

Donor
Feb 6, 2020
Madison
www.youtube.com
Country
Region
I think timesavers sells these made of some sore of fiberboard or something but they are unfinished.

claussclocks

NAWCC Member
Mar 14, 2013
Texas
Country
Region
I don't know who to point you to but I have encountered people who have had things copied by 3D printers that are remarkably good. Maybe someone else can help or you might Google the topic and who does such work for hire in your area.

DPC

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
If you have two originals of seven, you can use moulding putty such as Milliput to make a mould. Remove it and then you can use the same material (grease the mould) to make the copy. It can then be colored to match the others.

This works very well.

JTD

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
Wow, that Milliput sounds like the right way to go, but can it be stained?
Yes, it can, with wood stain or any other stain. I have never tried staining the putty before it was set, that might well be possible, I just haven't done that. But after it is hard, it can be coloured more or less like wood.

JTD

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
There are some pretty good Youtube videos on making molds. Check them out.
I'll just mention for those who may be searching for making molds here that molds will not work for left and right switching. In other words, if your clock has a left and right image that are mirror images of each other, you can't use one of them to make the other one. You might be able to do it on a 3D printer though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hitchcockjohn
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff