Emperor Westminster clock

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by heifetz17, Dec 3, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. heifetz17

heifetz17 Registered User

Apr 8, 2015
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hi guys, I was going to post this in the what’s it worth section but I guess I don’t have privileges to post there...

So does anyone have any info on this clock? I don’t know anything about it but my wife has had it since before we got married so it’s at least 10 years old at the newest. It looks like maybe it was built from a kit?

It was a gift from her grandfather (who is a clock maker) and has been a fantastic clock. It’s probably due for a service as we’ve had it running constantly for as long as we’ve had it.

3BCE31B9-86E9-4A19-99A5-AA0A12829747.jpeg B5DD2EBC-3131-45EF-8912-F58DFEC6820E.jpeg

2. wow

wow Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Male
    Retired Music Minister
    Pineville, La. (central La.)
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Emperor sold many clocks and clock kits during the 1970s. They were located in Fairhope, Alabama. The company is no longer in existence. It probably does need a servicing.

3. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    The key spacing looks like a Hermle. If so, the date (or date code) will be on the lower right corner of the back plate. Just guessing, it's probably more like 40 years old and well past its expected service life.

If you're lucky the movement was replaced 10 years ago?

Willie X

4. heifetz17

heifetz17 Registered User

Apr 8, 2015
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thanks guys! That's perfect, I'm quite familiar with Hermle movements! I figured it was much more modern simply because it doesn't look 40+ years old! That's a nice surprise.

It's highly unlikely that the movement has been replaced. My wife asked for a chiming clock for Christmas one year and if it wasn't a new clock it's likely one out of her grandfather's collection. He's built quite a few grandfather and wall clocks, and sounds like this is likely one that he actually built. How cool!

5. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    Well, I wouldn't take my guess to th bank. It's always interesting to see who guessed the closest though. Why not take a look-see at the back of the movement.

WIllie X

6. Ticktocktime100

Ticktocktime100 Registered User

Nov 11, 2012
    Student
    France
    Country Flag:
    Hi,

I second Willie's guess, which is spot on in my view - definitely a Hermle movement.

Regards.

7. chimeclockfan

chimeclockfan Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 21, 2006
    Chime clock & gong studies.
    WI
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This was one of Emperor's wall clock kits, purportedly inspired by the archetypal Vienna regulator. Information on their wall clocks is scarce but trade literature and dated clocks suggest they were made from the late 1970's onward into the 1990's. They usually came with Hermle spring driven movements which have a date code on the back. Unfortunately the Hermle movements were made 'on the cheap' and it's often preferred to just buy a new movement if the old one is worn out.

Emperor still exists as a company but has become little more than an outlet for factory-finished Hermle clocks. The kit clock boom began with Emperor in 1969 and pretty much died out by 1997.