Emperor Hermle 451-050H Replacement

Spifflog

Nov 3, 2019
Country
I have an Emperor grandmother clock from the 1970s (how many threads start that way) and it runs fine. It was a gift from an older friend with health issues, who wants the clock that her father built in good hands. It has a Hermle 451-050H movement and this was made in 1980.

I'd like to change the face out to put a moon dial in. But in order to do that, I have to take it apart. That seems like a good time to change out a 40 year old movement. That flies in the face of the "if it's not broke don't fix it" rule. I do understand that, especially after searching the forums here, that 40 years is a long time. I don't know know how many miles this clock has but as I said it runs fine and is very precise.

I'm sure you'll all suggest I change it out and I'm fine with that. Here's another question. Is there any chance that this 40 year old movement is of a higher quality than the one that Emperor will sell me tomorrow?

I have no idea if it's been serviced that often.

Thanks in advance. You were all very helpful previously, and I admire your passion greatly.

Drew

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Pineville, La. (central La.)
Country
Region
Emperor has been out of business for many years. Mark Butterworth can help you decide what is best and he has good prices on those movements. His business is listed at the beginning of the clock repair section under suppliers.

Reactions: NEW65

MuensterMann

Mar 23, 2008
If the movement is working well, why do you want to change it? You will need to change the dial that you have with one that is compatible and has a moon dial. Then, you will need to add a gear on the movement you have (on the hour arbor) to drive the moon dial.

Usually movements do not come with the gear to drive the moon dial. The distributor may sell those separately. So, if you buy new, there will not be this gear - unless it is sold separately (I never inquired) or get one off of a used movement.

Spifflog

Nov 3, 2019
Country
If the movement is working well, why do you want to change it?
My thought was that if the movement is well past it's life expectancy, and I'm taking it apart to change the face, why not replace the movement while I have it all apart?

NEW65

Nov 17, 2010
United Kingdom
Country
Region
If you decide to exchange for new then at least you know that you have something reliable to fit to your replacement moon dial. You’ll just need the right moon gear. There are two types, chances are the latest moon gear will be the correct one but you may require the slightly older, larger diameter , version.
And yes as wow suggests, Mark B is the one to buy from. If the group of three moon wheels are to the left of rear of dial you’ll have to break off the projection for the ANSO off the new movement to avoid contact with the moon wheels.
Good luck :)

Last edited:
Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment
Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pmendoza