Embedded Links - New Tab or Not?

Discussion in 'Forums Help & Notices' started by KurtinSA, Oct 15, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    Aerospace Engineer (Ret.)
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This is something that I've never really understood. If there's a link in a post, a user can click on the link and one of two things will happen. One is that the new URL will be displayed in the same tabbed window. The other is that the new URL will be displayed in a new tabbed window. A user can force a new tabbed window by right clicking and then select options, one of which is "open in new tab".

So in the first case when you left click on a link, who or what controls which of the two consequences take place? IMO I think all links should open in a new tabbed window...that provides the most flexibility if you want to go back to the original window and reread some things. If the new URL is opened in the same tabbed window, you have to use the back arrow to get there...wastes time.

Curious as to the general setup for links like that.

Thanks...Kurt

2. Bill Stuntz

Bill Stuntz Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 6, 2012
    Male
    PC Tech
    Columbus. OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Kurt, I've been wondering about that myself - and I haven't been able to figure it out, either. And my opinion about the "proper" behavior is different from yours. I use the "Back" button a LOT, and have a 5-button mouse - 1 twitch of my thumb without moving the mouse, and I'm back. So I get annoyed when that click opens a new tab instead of opening in the same tab. But I DO right-click to open the link a new tab if I'm going to look back & forth.

3. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #3 Tom McIntyre, Oct 16, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
    The behavior is controlled by the "target" attribute in the URL.

Discussion on W3 Schools

The URL bbCode could be modified to include target = "_blank" to make it the default, but as Bill notes, you cannot then undo the action.

Correction. New page is the current default for external links.

Here is a local link that should open in the same tab. New Orange Logout Flag