embarassing cuckoo music box question

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by zukota, Nov 2, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. zukota

zukota Registered User

Mar 22, 2011
    Country Flag:
    OK, I've tangled with many cuckoo clocks and have a pretty solid understanding but this one has me stumped. The top mounted music box functions fine if drum is given the opportunity to advance a smidge so the pin doesn't return to the hole. But, under normal operation the pin lifts from the hole and the warning wire stops the fly so the drum can not advance ( or music play) until the cuckoo is done sounding. When the cuckoo is finished the wire moves from the fly and at the same time the pin/lever/arm assembly is released....the pin falls back into the hole and the arrester lever/arm stops the fly. IOW, the drum has no opportunity to advance clearing the pin from the hole. The pin/lever/arm assembly does not have an elongated hole slot for lateral action like most, just a round hole. What idiotic mistake am I making?

DSCN4335.JPG DSCN4336.JPG

2. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    When the stop pin disengages, that spring should pull it away from the hole so it can't fall back it. Fiddle with the spring a bit :)

3. zukota

zukota Registered User

Mar 22, 2011
    Country Flag:
    The return spring has a specific mounting position, with hole and notch. How do I fiddle with that? I tried adjusting the release arm to different angles but it either does the same thing or it subsequently holds the pin away from lining up with the hole when it comes around again. Who would design such madness?

4. zukota

zukota Registered User

Mar 22, 2011
    Country Flag:
    Where ever I move the spring or spring arm it either is the same result or the pin misses the hole when it comes around again. Can't see how it could be any other way since the spring holds tension consistently and if it pulls it away from the hole one moment it has to do the same when it comes around again.

5. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The lever coming up from the movement should be catching the fly to stop the music movement. It moves out of the way only when it stops cuckooing.

6. Chris D

Chris D Registered User

Sep 8, 2009
    Coplay, PA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    What does the side of the drum look like? does it have a long slot before the hole or does it have the raised oval that the pin rides on?

7. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yeah, I have seen them deeply grooved, and often the groove takes the pin away from the hole instead of toward it. When the drum comes around, the pin should drop into the hole, and the forward motion of the drum should activate the stop lever to stop the drum. It's easy to get it too tight. It only needs a little motion to stop correctly. That same tension is what pops the pin behind the hole when it comes out.

8. bangster

bangster Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 1, 2005
    utah
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Adjust the fly-stop wire to give just a little longer warning run. Then the pin on the drum lever will miss the hole.

The only purpose of the spring is to hold the drum lever tight to the side of the drum, and pull the pin into the hole.

9. Chris D

Chris D Registered User

Sep 8, 2009
    Coplay, PA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Either way, they both work basically the same way. When the lever gets pulled for the music, the pin should 'hop up' onto the ledge so that it can't fall back down into the hole (see pic). You need to have some up/down movement in the lever for that to happen, if you don't, you'll need to cup the middle of the lever where the screw is. Also, the spring needs to be pulling the correct way (see pic). Your spring should be in the upper hole of the governor, so that it pulls the opposite end with the pin towards the center of the drum. You may even need to bend the lever down a little like the one in the pic.

IMG_20171103_124948140.jpg IMG_20171103_125016387.jpg