email

Discussion in 'Member News and Views' started by Tref, Dec 11, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Tref

Tref Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 28, 2005
    Country Flag:
    Does the NAWCC front office share our email addresses with local chapters?

2. Jim Haney

Jim Haney Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Sep 21, 2002
    Male
    Working the farm, Garden,horses, goats, chickens,
    Decatur, TN.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Tref,
    I know that the NAWCC shares your physical address with local chapter as a recruitment tool to contact NAWCC members who are not chapter members, so if they had your email, I don't see why they would not send that along as well.

3. Tref

Tref Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 28, 2005
    Country Flag:
    Thanks Jim.

4. John Hubby

John Hubby Principal Administrator
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    NAWCC privacy policy does not permit sharing of email or telephone info in any general listing such as the new member lists sent to chapters, the online membership list, newsletters, etc. Other lists such as the current membership list sent to Regionals for their registration purposes are even more restrictive, showing only the member name, membership number, and state or country of residence.

5. Tref

Tref Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 28, 2005
    Country Flag:
    Thanks John. I recently got an email from a local Chapter in my area, and I've had no known previous contact with it. Must have been the result of a purchase on eBay though, since the NAWCC is not sharing email addresses.

6. Tref

Tref Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 28, 2005
    Country Flag:
    Can't seem to edit my last post, just seconds after posting it. Also wanted to say that my number is unlisted so the Chapter couldn't have used my name, as provided by the NAWCC in order to get my phone number or physical address, let alone my email address.

7. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You may get emails from the NAWCC on behalf of the chapter, which doesn't show the sender your email address. Response is optional.

8. Tref

Tref Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 28, 2005
    Country Flag:
    Not in this case. It came from an individual in the same of the local Chapter. And I believe I opted out of most email subscriptions from the mothership.

I do get emails from other members across the Country, which I welcome, but have never knowingly associated with anyone or any chapter local to me.

It's not a big deal here. I was able to unsubscribe. I was just curious as to the reason I received it. And I'm thinking now it was almost certainly from someone I bought something from on ebay who may have been a member of this chapter. It's not a stretch to imagine that happening, especially in these times of a general waning of interest in horology. It still shouldn't happen in this way but it does.

9. Tref

Tref Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 28, 2005
    Country Flag:
    Should I see an edit button under my posts for some amount of time?

10. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    I think it is 30 minutes.

11. Tref

Tref Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 28, 2005
    Country Flag:
    Yeah, I'm used to seeing one for a short while, but this new format is still a bit new to me. I don't see a way to edit. On the bar under each post, even my own all I see is Report on the left, and "+Quote and Reply with Quote on the right. No edit there.

12. Jim Haney

Jim Haney Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Sep 21, 2002
    Male
    Working the farm, Garden,horses, goats, chickens,
    Decatur, TN.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Not to disagree with John's post but I have called Columbia to get phone numbers and address of other members over the years.

I think it was Pam L. who helped me.

So, The NAWCC may have a offical policy, but some people may not be informed of it.

13. Bill Stuntz

Bill Stuntz Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Member

Apr 6, 2012
    Male
    PC Tech
    Columbus. OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #13 Bill Stuntz, Dec 11, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
    FYI, I started receiving the Chapter 29 newsletter in the mail shortly after I joined because of the MB. I like seeing the newsletter, but their meetings are about 90 minutes from home. It's the closest chapter.

I've asked several MB users via PM to call my cell phone to help them solve MB problems. AFAIK, NAWCC hasn't given anyone my phone number. AFAIK, I've never met another NAWCC member in person.

14. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Retired from Graphic Arts
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    Poor me! This stuff is all new to me, maybe in another 52 years I'll learn what to do.

15. shimmystep

shimmystep Registered User

Mar 5, 2012
    Cambridge, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Did you get your regular emails open yet Dan?