Elliott Ships Clock

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by MCmalta, Mar 17, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. MCmalta

MCmalta Registered User

Mar 4, 2017
    Country Flag:
    #1 MCmalta, Mar 17, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2017
    I got my hands on another, different clock. Can anybody give me an idea if it is worth investing in please? Pics attached.
    Regards.

Attached Files:

2. JTD

JTD Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 27, 2005
    #2 JTD, Mar 17, 2017
    From what i can see on the back cover this is an Elliott (good maker) used by a government office (hence the royal cipher). You also have the date if was issued.

We are not allowed to discuss actual values on this part of the site but in any case without knowing what needs to be done to it, it would be impossible to say. But a good quality clock is, in my opinion, often worth repairing unless it is totally wrecked.

You might do better starting a new thread for this clock, as it is nothing to do with your original post. It would certainly be easier for future readers, since no one would think of looking here for an Elliott clock.

It would be helpful if you would post pictures of the movement as well.

Elliott clocks are usually well made and good quality.

JTD

3. MCmalta

MCmalta Registered User

Mar 4, 2017
    Country Flag:
    #3 MCmalta, Mar 18, 2017
    Hi JTD, sorry for the mix-up, I should have started a new thread.

I understand that we should not discuss prices but I am not really interested about the value of the clock. This was at my dad's house, he is dead now and we have sold the house so I thought, I would have it as I like clocks. I looks like it is worth keeping also.

It is in working order but needs some tlc. I remember my father telling me that it was a naval clock on a military ship of some kind, but that's all.
    Thanks again and regards, MC.

4. JTD

JTD Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 27, 2005
    #4 JTD, Mar 18, 2017
    Yes, well worth keeping, especially because of the sentimental value - it is a family heirloom, even if it's not tremendously valuable.

It may just need a thorough cleaning and oiling. Get it serviced and enjoy having your Dad's clock running nicely.

JTD

5. Burkhard Rasch

Burkhard Rasch Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    General-and trauma surgeon
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #5 Burkhard Rasch, Mar 18, 2017
    be prepared that this movement is governed by a platform escapement,servicing this is more watchwork than clockwork.In any case a desirable time piece.
    Burkhard